Linux

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking to start hosting our website ourselves and a friend has told me that it'd be best to buy Windows Server OS for the PC/server we're hosting it on. Alternatively, he said, we could get Linux OS which is free but he's never used it.

Has anyone here used Linux? How does it compare to Windows in terms of ease of use, quality, security and compatability etc.... Can we have one PC on our network with Linux on if the rest are on windows XP and they'll still be able to 'talk' to each other, share files etc..?

Looking for any help, comments and/or guidance from anyone!!

Thank you in anticipation!

Sponsored Links
To be honest, I wouldn't listen to anyone who's never used Linux or other unix-like operating systems when it comes to talking about web hosting. The Apache server, which usually runs on Linux or other unix-like OS, has 54% of the market compared to Microsoft's 26% ( source ) so while there might be good reasons for you to use a MS based web server someone who has no experience of the OS powering 'more than half the web' really isn't qualified to advise.

Your choice of server platforms should be dictated by the use to which you intend to put it. The majority of web features run fine on both platforms including PHP, mySQL, POP3 etc. If you intend to create your site using ASP, FrontPage, the .NET environment, Windows Streaming Media, Access, MSSQL, or any of the other Microsoft proprietary technologies then you probably need to use a Windows host. There is limited support for a number of these technologies in Linux, but they can be expensive and are usually lacking in features. It is probably worth considering the fact that if you use server specific technologies and then change hosts you'll have a much harder time of it than if you use technologies that can be run on any system. Having it run generic technologies removes the need to focus on specifics and allows you to focus on the quality of service itself. ( source )

There is a fair chance you are already using Linux if you have a router, firewall appliance, VoIP phone system, or network attached storage. Many of them run Linux internally.

Yes, you can share files between Windows and Linux.

Bear in mind with Linux it is very easy to scale a system from a desktop to a data farm, without any additional costs. Presumably if you are developing and hosting your own in-house system you will have at least three systems running (development, testing, and production) so you'll have to budget 3 x the licence fees.

And Linux tends not to obsolete products and make you buy new ones.

Personally although I am still getting to grips with Linux I am finding it a lot easier to install and run Linux rather than Windows. Try to get a printer working under Windows - I actually had to use a *driver disk*!!! Linux just does it from the package repository. And no faffing about having to install things as Administrator and then finding they don't work as User, etc etc etc.

Bear in mind to transfer files between any Windows machines you have on your network and your Linux box you would probably be best setting up a Samba server on the Linux box to provide a centralised file repository. It's very well documented and isn't too difficult to implement.

Ease of use
In a server environment you would want to install Linux without a GUI, this means no point and click configuration. Frankly speaking, if you're setting up a server you wouldn't want this, a GUI adds unnecessary overheads and usually your servers are remotely accessed using a text only terminal anyway via SSH. You wouldn't want your only choice for remote administration to be a remote session over something like RDP or VNC.

Of course this adds a level of complexity, you have to learn to use the command line. On the other hand package managers take a lot of the effort out of installing software. Instead of searching around for that .exe file to install Apache for example you would simply type:

[code:1]apt-get install apache[/code:1]

Not to mention driver support, a LOT of drivers are already integrated, most of the time you will never have to search around for drivers.

Quality
Overall you're going to get stability that surpasses any Windows based operating system, it's not unusual for servers to have an uptime of several years. I just logged into one of my companies hosting servers and it currently has an uptime of 502 days, this is actually pretty typical.

A lot of the software available for Linux has been in development for many years, some of it is older than I am! Overall you get the benefit of open source software, many people can observe code changes, identify bugs within software and contribute fixes.

Security
This is where Linux really surpasses Windows, most of the viruses out there have absolutely no effect on Linux. The inbuilt firewall (IPTables) is incredibly powerful and the protocols used for administration are very secure.

Compatibility
Windows applications can be run on Linux using a program called WINE, in a server environment it's unlikely you will ever need to do this. In most cases there are alternative packages that will do the same thing natively on Linux (and in many cases do it better).

Debian has over 30,000 packages in it's repositories, it's fairly unlikely you won't find a package that will do what you want. I use Debian as my main operating system and I do all my development work on it, it gives me far more flexibility than any Windows based operating system.

Distributions
Linux comes in many different types, choosing a one can be difficult, I've listed a few below that you may want to check out. For an overview of a few operating systems check out http://www.distrowatch.com.

Debian - http://www.debian.org (My personal favourite and my main operating system)
CentOS - http://www.centos.org (A lot of people use this, I personally don't like YUM package management)
Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com (A good starting place for beginners, though not really a server OS in my opinion)

If you're wanting to get to grips with it I highly recommend grabbing yourself a copy of Ubuntu and installing it on a second partition and start messing around, there are loads of resources about setting up a LAMP (that's: Linux, Apache, MYSQL, PHP) environment.

Of course if your website is ASP based you will be forced to go for a Windows based server.

Well Linux is a modification of the Unix kernel, one of the most stable operating systems ever built.

I don't mean to nitpick, but this is entirely incorrect. Linux as a kernel is not a modification of anything, it's an entirely unique kernel written from scratch. Linux as an operating system is a Unix-like OS. It does not adhere to any Unix standard.

Sponsored Links
any particular reason you want to host yourself?? just seems like alot of work when there are a few good free hosts out there already doing it for you.

I looked at it, but decided it would be too much work, mainly trying to sort out/get around the dynamic IP issue.

just seems like alot of work when there are a few good free hosts out there already doing it for you.

No such thing as a good free host.

I looked at it, but decided it would be too much work, mainly trying to sort out/get around the dynamic IP issue.

What issue? Want to host content? Get a static IP. Your ISP doesn't supply them? Get a real ISP.

Back