Can I use this pre-cast Flue? (pics)

Oh dear,

Well, after posting this on 'rated people' thre times, and each time the job expired without any interest from a single gas man. I've rung around everyone 'Gas Safe' in my local area and still found nobody willing to take on the job...

The only interested party are the local fireplace merchants who will fit if they supply me a new fire at 4 figures+...

Clearly, pre-cast is unpopular!

Sponsored Links
The flue was built by brick layers who never bothered to remove excess mortar from the joints internal surface, therefore reducing the flue size. Some were terminated badly causing flues not to work with certain wind direction. I could go on, but I was always wary during my working life of these flues and condemned many. That is probably why very few, if any will entertain your job offer.

Well said Pete! - we've got a whole housing estate in our area built by one of the big names all with pre-cast flues. all with major problems! :cry:

Cheers - any reason why no one would want to fit a balanced flue fire through the wall instead?

Sponsored Links
Cobwebs shouldn't be a problem because it states in the regs that any chimney should be thoroughly swept PRIOR to the installation of the Gas fire
:rolleyes:

Last time I looked, it was a requirement to sweep the flue if it has been previously used for solid fuel or oil.

OP, did you present that link when offering the job? The fire will not fit - even a cursory glance at the specs show the width of fire is 340mm, where you only have 330mm. You need a tapered firebox, so the dimension at the point where it is in line with the PC flue is below 330mm.

Your main problem, I suspect, is that you want to buy the fire cheap on the internet, and find an experienced fire fitter charging peanuts. I can't believe NO ONE is interested at ANY price, unless your particular street or development is well known for dodgy flues, and that is not unusual. It is, however, not true that all PC flues are bad, particularly post 1984 (actually could be slightly wrong with that date). Inarguably. though, "proper" chimneys are better.

Your figure for £1000+ I am guessing, is not just for the fire, so you are being a little disingenuous. To be fair to them, most shops will not fit self sourced products. You wouldn't expect Carpet Rite to fit a carpet you bought off the market, would you?
Have you spoke to anyone about BF fires? The fitting charge is likely to be more and the product significantly so.

Also, I don't believe Be Modern have any field engineers. They rely on the retailers to support the product. Fire R us tend just tend to refer you to the the maker, so you are stuffed if it goes wrong.

Time of year mate.

Very few gas engineers will have time right now to fit a gas fire.

Also quite a few avoid gas fire installs. I install very few. It can be quite problematic.
I generally advise people to go and see the local fire shop and let them deal with it.

You mention a 4 figure some, many gas fires are this alone without installation.
Have you considered electric

Cheers - any reason why no one would want to fit a balanced flue fire through the wall instead?
No reason why not. you didn't mention that it was on an outside wall.

Yes I did...see first post! :D

You are right that I'm trying to buy a cheap fire on the internet...however I hadn't even got as far as having quotes from anyone on fitting.

Think we'll need to save a bit and fork out for a local supply & fit.

Cheers again for all the posts,

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back