Extend a transformer / PSU on a waterproof TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I bought a waterproof TV for the bathroom and had a socket put in the loft to plug it into (fitted by electrician)

The TV has turned up today and the power lead is too short. Is there any way at all of extending the connections on this transformer:

I will need to cut the wire either at the plug or at the low voltage side to extend - is this possible?!

Could I use one of the following to extend it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5m-3m-5...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item5d4927186d

This is the existing connection:

Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Will that work? its for CCTV not for this purpose. What about Voltage Drop that i see mentioned in a few places?

Assuming the connectors are the right size…

The lead that is linked to is just a bit of cable with connectors at each end.
It is not CCTV specific, its just been mentioned in the description as a "catch all".
Volt drop will not be an issue for the 1 or 2 metre length the OP will need.

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

I bought a waterproof TV for the bathroom and had a socket put in the loft to plug it into (fitted by electrician)

The TV has turned up today and the power lead is too short. Is there any way at all of extending the connections on this transformer:

I will need to cut the wire either at the plug or at the low voltage side to extend - is this possible?!

Could I use one of the following to extend it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5m-3m-5...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item5d4927186d

This is the existing connection:

Thanks

It is a power supply not a transformer and yes you can extend it with that lead.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
That label has dangerous mis-information about the output lead.

White wire LIVE
Printed wire NEUTRAL

It should be

White wire DC +12 v ( or maybe DC -12 v )
Printed wire DC 0 v

The label suggests that the output cable could be connected to Live and Neutral from the mains. If that happened the device would be destroyed and possibly create a severe risk of fire

That label has dangerous mis-information about the output lead. ....... The label suggests that the output cable could be connected to Live and Neutral from the mains. If that happened the device would be destroyed and possibly create a severe risk of fire
How do you know that the information to quote relates to the output lead? - as we've been shown, the output lead has a moulded connector fitted, so there's no reason why the user needs to know the colours of the cores.

Are you sure the information does not relate to the input lead ('mains')?

Kind Regards, John

The lead to the ELV ( 12 v ) cable end socket has black and white blocks on one wire and printed text on the other wire. This is a very common style of cable for ELV items coming out of China.

The Merry King plug top power supply has a bogus CE marking along with other suspect bogus certification symbols.

It does not have any indication of its country of origin

The Merry King plug top power supply has a bogus CE marking along with other suspect bogus certification symbols.
Fair enough. The OP's one may or may not be the same. I still wonder why they would bother giving information about the identification of output conductors when there is a moulded connector attached to the cable. In any event, I would hope that anyone cutting off the connector would have enough knowledge to know the difference between input and output.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back