To rewire or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of buying a 17th century cottage. The absentee owners have had it for 25 years (I believe it was inherited from parents) and have used it as a personal holiday cottage. The fittings are all modern and there is a modern shower room built onto the ground floor but I know they never had it re-wired and I have asked if they can find out if/when it was done. How can I tell if it needs rewiring or should it be done anyway? I'm concerned that if I get an electrician in, he is going to say it needs doing whatever.
What would be a reasonable cost for a complete rewire of a tiny 2 bed cottage? (North UK)

Sponsored Links
Take some pictures of the electrics and post them here. Especially the fuse box and the area around the meter.

Just because there are modern fittings do NOT assume the wiring behind them is modern.

Some old cottages still have rubber cable in daily use.

Inherited 25 years ago and not re-wired since. I would be thinking a re-wire would be a good idea.

Although, as bernard says, some photos might help us to offer some thoughts, only an on-site electrician could really assess the installation and advise you what, if anything, ought to be addressed (anything from 'nothing' up to a full rewire being possibilities). You would probably be best advised to have an Electrical Installation Condition Report ('EICR') undertaken - that would involve a full inspection and testing of the installation, and would indicate what work was required and/or advisable.

Within reason, time/age are not necessarily indicators of the need for a re-wire. Any wiring which is in PVC cable (which has been the case for aroiund 50 years) is likely to last very many decades. You might well benefit from a modern consumer unit, but that in itself would not require a re-wire. In fact, the most common reason for a re-wire is probably the owners requirement for more/different sockets/ lights/ accessories/ appliances/ whatever, rather than the condition of the wiring - it gets to the point at which a complete rewire is probably a better, quicker and probably cheaper option than many extensive changes, additions and modifications.

Kind Regards, John

I would go along with that, not in the trade, but if the wires are pvc/sound and the sockets/lights do what you need from them, happy days.

If the cable is rubber, its likely to be well shot, and want replacing.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
If it turns out that there is no pressing reason for an immediate rewire I would advise leaving it until you've lived there for a bit, that way you'll have a better idea of what you want where.

The property sounds like a rough diamond, and I'd guess your going to go through a program of refurbishment.

Since electrical work will likely require chases for cable routes, floor board lifting and the like do make sure you sort out the services side (El tribal, heating, hot and cold water, tv, data, Sky, alarms, cctv in and through each room before doing the arty stuff like painting, furnishings Etc.

The most aged wiring in a property tends to be the lighting drops and any cable buried in walls.

The processor is a PIC18F2620 on a PCB that I designed, 24 inputs and 32 outputs.

The DIN rails are not wood but steel. The Klippon terminals may look like wood.

The processor is a PIC18F2620 on a PCB that I designed, 24 inputs and 32 outputs.

The DIN rails are not wood but steel. The Klippon terminals may look like wood.

Sorry, I missed the word 'enclosure'. Nice! It looks very professional - I assumed it was something off the shelf.

Nice! It looks very professional - I assumed it was something off the shelf.
Thank you, it will look a bit less un-tidy when the final configuration is determined.

As a design engineer NOTHING I do is off the shelf. :mrgreen:

Only if it does exactly what I need would I use off the shelf in this cottage. But for other projects and clients I would advise them to use off the shelf when possible.

As a design engineer NOTHING I do is off the shelf. :mrgreen: ... Only if it does exactly what I need would I use off the shelf in this cottage. But for other projects and clients I would advise them to use off the shelf when possible.
That sounds a bit like some aspects of my house. The potential problem, of course, (for both of us) arises when the property ultimately comes into different ownership. Even if your system is very well documented (which I'm sure it will be - and I do my best to document mine, too), it might well be very difficult to find an electrician who is happy to work on the installation (other than to rip everything out and start again with 'off-the-shelf' solutions), particularly to attempt any repairs within the bespoke 'boxes of electronics'.

I also try to maintain good stocks of spares for components in my systems (even including PCBs in some cases), to address another potential problem with unique bespoke designs.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back