Mystery Immersion heater switches

OR more likely, it was just never changed from when the immersion heaters were removed. Or perhaps storage heaters, but not UFH

My girlfriends house has dual rate, the immersion heaters were removed, E-On have overstickered the 2-Rate sticker on the meter with 1-Rate, but the meter is still 2-Rate. Go figure.

Sponsored Links
My girlfriends house has dual rate, the immersion heaters were removed, E-On have overstickered the 2-Rate sticker on the meter with 1-Rate, but the meter is still 2-Rate. Go figure.
I suppose that's fair enough, provided they are charging on a single-rate basis - putting on a sticker and adding two numbers together for each bill is probably more cost-effective than changing a perfectly good meter.

Kind Regards, John

I'd have guessed Square D Qo-X, but f/p is probably right (hes probably got some ottermill in the obselete switchgear museum :LOL:)

All in a mantel / skelton board

I would guess Dorman Smith.

DS

I suppose that's fair enough, provided they are charging on a single-rate basis - putting on a sticker and adding two numbers together for each bill is probably more cost-effective than changing a perfectly good meter.

Kind Regards, John

It's prepay so they can do it remotely via the top up key, I've done it that way in the past. She's switching in june so no point changing it now

Sponsored Links
333rocky333 has it right. It's an ex council property in east London built in 1976 with the fuse box in a metal housing in a cupboard, under the stairs, in the kitchen. I've opened the door to take the photo. The property has not been modified since it was built an certainly doesn't / didn't have UFH! Thanks for bringing your safety concerns to my attention. I'll put a lock on the door and will discuss a 'safer' upgrade with the electrician.

I checked the tariff last night and we ARE on economy 7. When they upgraded the meter last month they didn't ask us anything about tariffs. I will certainly be calling them today and will let you know what they say.

I checked the tariff last night and we ARE on economy 7. When they upgraded the meter last month they didn't ask us anything about tariffs. I will certainly be calling them today and will let you know what they say.
As I said, that's what I strongly suspected. You need to get off that E7 tariff and onto some sort of standard single-rate tariff - since, as I said, you will almost certainly be paying appreciably more than you need for your electricity by staying on E7.

Kind Regards, John

None of them usually have locks on just a catch normally.
There is usually a sort of flexible plastic sheet goes over the front of the fuseboard held on by the two protruding studs.
i assumed that youd removed that to take the picture

None of them usually have locks on just a catch normally.
There is usually a sort of flexible plastic sheet goes over the front of the fuseboard held on by the two protruding studs.
i assumed that youd removed that to take the picture

The two protruding studs are there, but the flexible sheet you describe IS missing. Is this a replacement part I can buy or can I cut a panel of Perspex at work and fix it on to the studs?

You can still get new "skeleton" boards, but your model id expect is obsolete now .
Your electrician may help advise but it looks like the meter is now restricting the space for any replacement board now.
I assume you no longer need the dual tarrif board

from what i recall the cover is quite basic and i suppose a fireproof form of perspex or a stuff they call paxoline that you can cut with a jigsaw may be better than nothing, till if and when you update.

If you have a freindly neighbour you could check theres and get a template or if they have upgraded, note how and what make they have used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back