Repair or new boiler?

Paul Barker said:
shame you're in somerset I took out a classic other day, you'd be welcome to any parts including heatex. I justs get them picked up by a scrap man.

Have you still got the parts? We would be very happy to pay postage costs for them if you have - heat exchanger and thermostat control box, which took a soaking. Thanks

Sponsored Links
the trouble maybe lying in the pipework! if the pump had gone and the heat ex cracked there maybe a case of sludge in the system that corroded it!! what colour was the water? a powerflush is not a cheap job!!

AntJMcD said:
the trouble maybe lying in the pipework! if the pump had gone and the heat ex cracked there maybe a case of sludge in the system that corroded it!! what colour was the water? a powerflush is not a cheap job!!

Sludge would not cause corrosion in a cast iron heat exchanger, in fact the only obvious problem with CI is frost damage.

A power flush will be needed in any case, especially if a new boiler is installed.

The HE cracked because the pump was totally broken and so the water was boiling, so the HE got weakened and finally cracked yesterday. (As is OP, the pump was replaced a few weeks ago).

The water was clear, apart from a small amount of brown unknown substance.

Sponsored Links
abc23 said:
The HE cracked because the pump was totally broken and so the water was boiling, so the HE got weakened and finally cracked yesterday. (As is OP, the pump was replaced a few weeks ago).

The water was clear, apart from a small amount of brown unknown substance.

Sorry can't buy that. If what you say is true then you have a very badly designed system, even bordering on the dangerous.

I can buy that a cast iron heat exchanger just springs aleak, I've scrapped two boilers because of it. The one I've removed is at a job I'll be going to today, but I can't see the ladies at the post office counter accepting the heat exchanger, it's very heavy. ANyhow I'll see which model it is and let you know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back