Combi boiler and smell of gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys after a little bit of advice to either put my mind at rest or get the gasman out!

Had a new central heating and hotwater system fitted about a year ago, was previously all electric and I now have a gas combi boiler fitted in a utility room.

When the hat water tap is turned on and then off after a short time, just outside where the exhaust vent (and I also belive the intake) there is a strong wiff of gas, only last a couple of seconds and dosnt allways happen.
Is this normal? is there something wrong that I can check? or do I need to get someone out to check? needs its first service in a month or two but should I not wait that long?

No gas smells anywhere when its contsantly running or wjen its not running, just after its been on and off with 10-15 seconds.

If there is any other info you need please let me know and ill provide what i can.

Thanks

Wayne

Sponsored Links
Gas smells are always worth getting checked by someone suitably qualified.

The emergency service provider (ecp) will be rounbd like a shot if you tell them you can smell gas. Then you can get an expert opinion, and if there is something wrong with the boiler they will cap it off for you to render it safe until you get a corgi registered person to fix it.

The National number for ecp is 0800 111 999. If it is different in your area the number should be writen on the gas meter.

. turn off the gas supply imediately at the meter

. extinguish all sources of ignition

. do not smoke

. do not operate any electrical switches or appliances

open doors and windows

. be available to let the ecp in. If the door is operated remotely open it manually.

That used to be what happened, recently near us if transco (national grid gas) arrive to a leak, they carry out drop test, if leaking they dont investigate just disc the meter.If drop test passes and and the customer still complains of smelling gas they still disc the meter.They then tell the customer to find a corgi.
Even has got to the point where upon changing a gas meter the guy will not relight any appliances all they do is again disc the meter and inform customer a corgi is needed.
How things have changed.

its probably just a bit of excess from ignition gas valve could be open for maybe five seconds before actually lighting. but you can never be too carefull

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

it seems to me like a car that started with full choke then switched off straight away - you allways get a wiff of petrol, Ill get the service engineer out a little early and get him to check it.

It only happens when the hot water tap is turned on only very breifly and the smell is only ever outside by the exhaust pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back