Heating World Grandee floor standing oil combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably only wilhelm will know anything about this boiler.

Does anyone know if the pump should run continuously?

Is there a thermostat (like a store stat) that controls it's operation?

The manual says nothing about operation except the usual boring bits about burner faults. YAWWNNNNNNN!! The wiring diagram is in a similarly useless format.

Sponsored Links
Grandee Combi - Yes pump runs continually and burner fires as req because it is primed for dhw continually. When htg calling motorised valve opens to circuit. If 2CH wired in and switched off it will stop boiler and pump running, but then no dhw till turned back on.

Forgot to mention there is a store stat (no separate store, same for htg/dhw). It controls burner but pump stays on unless mains power cut.

Many thanks Nixt.

There are several details about this boiler which are dumb, this is another one. The first problem was a leaking PRV, nothing abnormal there, but there was little hot water, I changed the blending valve since it was totally scaled up. Then discovered the heat exchanger wasn't working. When at last I got it out, the primary side was blocked. For this reason it would be a good idea to not run the pump unnecessarily, effectively using the heat exchanger as a filter. Unless a filter is fitted somewhere else.

It's not surprising most service guys avoid combies. Never mind, more money for me :D

Sponsored Links
If MI's available section on schematic wiring diagrams is best way to explain this boiler's functions as little in the way of hydraulic illustration. Some oil combi's may seem Heath Robinson but been told this may be only way to avoid using PCB's although Grandee does have a relay. AAV failure usually occurs because EV is always undersized for high water volume oil boilers hence pressure and temps start attcking weakest points. To protect dhw plate the usual devices could be put on CH return do not know of any integral to Grandee.

:LOL: no, i aint worked on one. however i downloaded the wiring diagram ...... :LOL: :LOL: i presume top symbol.diverter valve
second symbol....??
third symbol????
fourth ..pump?

ahhhh. fifth ....burner :cool:

perhaps the highly paid draughtsman lost interest in labelling things. and wot is the thick black line...loads of cables?? his job is to convey information to us monkeys on the ground :D

but..i would say pump is controlled by the stats. who the f ekk would design a system with the pump running all the time?? hang on....heating world would... :LOL:

Did not believe it myself when installing outdoor WM version in 2004. (Then only boiler on the market that satisfied this particular application). Called manufacturer who confirmed pump runs all the time on single channel control systems.

Nixt, failure occurred here because it effectively had no expansion vessel. I drained the boiler to change the heat ex, and replace the PRV. When I could get it up to pressure after doing this, discovered the pipe to the exp vess is blocked somewhere. Arrgggghhhhh!!! got to go back tomorrow to change that.

Wilhelm, which is the link for the wiring diag. I've gpot the MI here, and as you say, the drawings were done by a draughtsman. There's no problem in seeing what's what, but to work out exactly what the relay is doing and which lines are doing what, when, I can't be bothered.

Hope Heating World are watching this.

well theyve been "named and shamed " on diynot.

thatll learn 'em :LOL:

try..

click on technical information.

or should i say "technical information"
:LOL:

patience...im on f r iigin dial up. :oops:

DIAL UP???? try a mobile on GPRS, it's faster :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the link, I had downloaded most of the other documents, boilers are sort of ok, but paperwork is a joke.

(Are you listening Heating World :evil: )

To be fair they are a great little company I have spent a day down there and a nice hotel room. Birmingham based, head of board (can't remember name) was a worcester man who set up his own manufacturing co. his brother Jerry? is an engineer, he designs everything, with some help from the suppliers, now ecoflam was riello. ecoflam technical man was present and stated that "the matching we get with these boilers is the best you will find anywhere".

For a gas fitter the combi performance was absolutely astounding, it would out perform a worcester hiflow, they ran a bath up to the overflow judging by my experience hand held in the water it was about 45 degrees at 16 lpm, but more importantly this was after it had already completely filled the bath (hence why it outperforms a hiflo).

The oil boiler huge cast iron jacket becoming a thermal store sems to generate an immense amount of latent heat which seems inexhaustible (compared to gas storage combis).

It is a shame that they don't have a good draftsman on the staff of this family orientated business. The workers were all well motivated and were actually making things and taking pride in it. They were very pleased to talk to an actual engineer.

Jerry spends a lot of time trying to design out problems. I am sure he would be absolutely delighted to receive a call from you oilman with the good constructive criticism you can give. I am also certain he would love you to go down for a day, and if you do arrange it let me know I have an open invite and would love to go again.

It is a shame that the permanent pump operation is precipitating use of plate heat ex as a filter, Jerry could engineer this problem out, I would suggest a magnetic cyclone filter which he might have to get engineered, would far improve the mark.

I would say that the need to heat the store was well outweighed by the excellend dhw performance.

How refreshing it is to see a boiler that manages to meet regs whilst avoiding surface mount components and uses a plug in relay. How many times have I called for relays we can change on this forum?

I am sorry they can't provide a good flow chart.

But trust me they are all ears to quality suggestions from the field and would invite you with open arms, in fact if we could get a gang of us to converge on Birmingham they would love it, they asked me if I could get a group together.

Paul Barker said:
...........ecoflam technical man was present and stated that "the matching we get with these boilers is the best you will find anywhere".

Must be true then, you can always believe someone who has a vested interest :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back