Blistered Newly Skimmed walls

The problem with sealing bare plaster with PVA is it does not allow the first coat of V/Matt emulsion to sink-in-to the PVA sealed plaster (as it should to enable strong adhesion). This can create many problems when someone decides to hang a wallcovering over it, i.e. when someone decides to strip the wallpaper it will tear and rip the first coat of emulsion that has been applied over PVA. This causes for a longerterm problem, with easily damaged painted surface only apparent once stripped. This is why your emulsion appears to go on like a dream over PVA but there are longerterm implications for this practice. Same when these DIY Shows etc explain that you PVA over bare brickwork etc to seal the surface before painting. This causes the paint to be more prone to flaking and loss of adhesion but is only apparent longerterm. Also, PVA can cause small blistering of emulsions.

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
But serge 33 - many of us have been doing this work professionally for decades.
Not you though, estate agent. ;)

I've been renovating houses for years.

Judging by the amount of time that you spend in the forum I'd say you were 'Self-unemployed'.

joe-90 said:
So you say, but it's clearly not long enough to prevent you filling your mouth with your feet when you express a 'professional' opinion, viz:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=226698#226698

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=490889#490889

Judging by the amount of time that you spend in the forum I'd say you were 'Self-unemployed'.
Notwithstanding the fact that your judgment is apocalyptically poor, what I do for a living has no bearing on the fact that you very rarely know what you're talking about.

Sponsored Links
This came up in a question today...a trainee repied that you mist coat walls to 'seal' them...

They aint being sealed the are being primed if anything.

Oh and...the idea paint for painting newly plastered walls ..when they are a depth of more that the average skim is contract (non vinyl) emulsion to allow the wals to breath..

If they are sealed any trapped moisture could cause the paint to blister and blow

Softus said:
joe-90 said:
So you say, but it's clearly not long enough to prevent you filling your mouth with your feet when you express a 'professional' opinion, viz:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=226698#226698

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=490889#490889

Notwithstanding the fact that your judgment is apocalyptically poor, what I do for a living has no bearing on the fact that you very rarely know what you're talking about.

You just never got over the fact I proved you a racist over the gypsy thing a year ago did you?

I was right on both of those posts that you've dredged up. If I'm wrong - you prove it.

You are on this board from morning, all day and most of the night. You don't work at all do you Softus?

joe-90 said:
You just never got over the fact I proved you a racist over the gypsy thing a year ago did you?
Your pink handbag is showing. :D

I was right on both of those posts that you've dredged up.
Of course you were. And everyone else was wrong. :rolleyes:

You are on this board from morning, all day and most of the night. You don't work at all do you Softus?
I work when I want to, and I log on to the forum when I want to. I sense envy in your weakly-attempted insult. :D

Softus said:
I work when I want to, and I log on to the forum when I want to. I sense envy in your weakly-attempted insult. :D

I insult you daily - and it's spelt "weekly" anyway.

You log on all night because you sit around all day.

We Brits have what we call a 'sense of humour'. Maybe they don't have one where you come from (the planet Zog)

OK joe, enough is enough. You win hands down in the 'playground insult' contest; I'm no good at that.

I don't know why you're so obsessed with when you think that I'm logged on to the forum - your e-presence is of little interest to me, so I guess I'll take it as a compliment and leave it at that.

See on a different topic - I'm outa here.

spice said:
The plasterer was wrong to advise to apply PVA prior to painting.

I skimmed over one of my walls - waited for 2 weeks and then applied PVA like the manuals say. I left that for a week and then painted using bathroom paint from Duluxe. I have to say that I have had no problems and until now would have recommended PVA'ing newly plastered walls prior to painting.

Ill have to keep an eye on it now - doh!

Out of interest...what books say you should use PVA?

:LOL: :LOL:

Funny, he never said anything about it on here.. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back