Part P: no need to notify same as no need to certify?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am wondering if anyone know for sure if I need to get a Part P certificate after replacing a light switch and light fitting in a bedroom?

I have read the pdf "technical information sheet no 11" which clearly says "no need to notify", but does that mean any DIYer is allowed to swap a light switch without having to have it checked and certified?

sheet 11 can be found here:

http://www.barnsley.gov.uk/Document...lding Control Information Sheets/sheet 11.pdf

or http://tinyurl.com/33o6og

Thanks in advance

Ray

Sponsored Links
This work is non notifiable but your supposed to have it inspected by a competent parson who will issue you a minor works certificate.

RobFurn said:
This work is non notifiable but your supposed to have it inspected by a competent parson who will issue you a minor works certificate.

And pray for you at the same time ? ? ?

:LOL: haha took me a while your too quick bernard! damb the spellchecker

Sponsored Links
RobFurn said:

Thanks Rob, so I am required to have it checked? How much can I expect to pay for the checks (so I don't get ripped off)?

Thanks
Ray

Your suppost to Yes, but how many people do this simple bit of work and dont even think about inspection. Then again how many people change a ceiling rose and bugger up the switch wire and blow the lot :)

Edit: Page 34 of the official Part P document clearly states the need for inspection for Minor Works

Part P applies to all electrical installation work carried out in dwellings. However, you do not need to tell your local authority's Building Control department about:
repairs and maintenance work or
extra power points or lighting points or other alterations to existing circuits (except in specially defined areas such as a kitchen, bathroom or outdoors)

I can find no reference to a requirement for the above works to be MWC.

Please confirm your source detailing where in the Part P regs it suggests that such works requires a competent person to prove a certificate.

Lets not forget that under Part P registration a DISQ or registered competent person is NOT allowed to certify work done by a 3rd party

Chris have a look at my earlier post

Page 34 of the official part P doc states the need for a MWC for the replacement of an accessory

I also stated that this is non notifiable

Am I missing something please let me know if you disagree

It boils down to "P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury."
The main method adopted by the industry to comply with P1 is to work to BS7671, this calls for the electrical work to be inspected, tested and the relevent certifion issued. If you don't work to BS7671 (or another recognised standard) you may find it difficult to prove compliance with P1. P1 is a requirement for all electrical work in domestic dwellings in England/Wales wether it be notifiable or not.

RobFurn said:

It took me a while, too, but I got there...... ;) :LOL:

the part P law does not explicitly require certification.

compliance with BS7671 does but the part P law doesn't actually regard that either.

ultimately though the only people that can say for sure on this are the judge and jury in a court and i don't see this issue ending up in court because the kind of people who end up prosecuted for part P violations ususally have much easier things to convict them with.

I rang building controls asking them to confirm the requirements regarding the replacement of existing switches and a light fitting in the bedroom, below is the official email response I received today.

Note, this is only quoted here as a reference and does not constitute advice for your particular project, it is merely here for reference, amusement or entertainment only. If you carry out any job, if is your responsibility to get approval or confirmation separately.

Quote from email:
Please find below a response to your enquiry regarding the Building Regulations.
This response has been generated by the DCLG Technical Helpline.
Enquiry Detail:
Advice on part P
Caller would like to know if he need a part P certification to replace light switch in bedroom and also fit a light in bedroom.

Outcome:
Certain electrical jobs in the home are 'notifiable', which means that the work needs to be checked by the Local Authority Building Control Department (giving two days' notice before starting work) unless carried out by an electrician registered with an authorised Part P self-certification scheme.

Notifiable jobs include installing new circuits back to the consumer unit - for example, a new ring, lighting or cooker circuit - and extending or altering existing circuits in a kitchen, bathroom or outdoors.

Extensions to existing circuits that are NOT in kitchens, bathrooms or outdoors are NOT notifiable.
Repair, maintenance and like-for-like replacement jobs (other than of consumer units) anywhere in the house are also NOT notifiable.

The two jobs that the caller describes are therefore NOT notifiable. He can carry out the work himself without notifying Building Control, and he does not need to employ a registered electrician.

Note it does not mention the requirement to get a minor job certificate, so interpret it how you wish.

Ray

As I said above, MWC is a requirement of BS7671 which is a standard that almost all electricians in the UK work to. For example, say an electrician was to replace a light switch in a house (non-notifiable task) which then caused someone to be electrocuted. This may lead to a prosecution for, amongst other things, non complaince with statutory document such as P1 of the building regs or the electricity at work regs. BS7671 in its entirity can be used to assist in proving complaince with a statutory document, but if there is no paperwork produced the electrician hasn't complied with BS7671 hence cannot use it in defence.

It is non notifiable.
It comes under Part P.
therefore "reasonabe provision ........................... blah blah safety " must include some test and inspect by a competent person whether to BS 7671 or any EEC standard or American/ Canadian/ New Zealand/Australlian or bongo bongo land national standards.
What a nightmare.
Nothing specifically prevents any DI or approved con from certifying anothers work providing it is either a periodic or a limited section for I & T on the EIC and therefoire not registered as their own installation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back