Two Lights 1 double switch - How to wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I current have a wall switch (double) with 3core+earth and want to know how to wire them to switch 2 lights on/off independantly.

There is only 1 switch needed.

Please see my diagram for details.

Thanks for you help!

Sponsored Links
OK, you should have a 2-gang switch. this will have two sets of C, L1 and L2.

Connect the red to both Cs on the switch (link between the two)
Connect the blue wire to one of the L1 terminals
Connect the yellow wire to the other L1 terminal

I guess that the 3-core cable goes to one of the light fittings?
Connect the red from the other end of the cable to the loop terminal (thats your live feed back to the switch.
Connect the blue wire to the L terminal on the light fitting.
That is one light done.
Now you'll need a piece of two core & earth cable to run between the two light fittings. The wires will probably be blue & brown
At the fitting where the 3 core terminates you'll need a small terminal block (choc block) connect the yellow wire from the 3 core to the brown wire on the 2 core cable. Connect the earth wire to earth!
At the second fitting connect the brown wire from the two core&earth cable to the L connection and Connect the earth wire to earth!
Thats the other light done.

Your light bulbs go between N & L at each light fitting.
The blue and yellow wires must be marked with red or brown sleeve or tape to show they are live!
All earth conductors must be sleeved green&yellow.

That's it.

Sponsored Links
Looks like u got the idea. You didnt redraw the switch though. Per above, you should have a switch plate with two switches on it - two sets of C , L1 & L2 terminals.

also as the two wire cable will be at the lighting rose 2 you could earth that end too (just pop them all into the earth terminal there.
Yes yr right, the blue conductor is not used.

Good luck

ive got the same problem in my front room, but it seems that the lighting circuit starts from one of the lights so ive got two sets of mains wires and two white cables. but at the light switch ive got two white cables and one has yellow blue and red? im not sure where that comes from as its not part of the lighting circuit.

can anyone help me sort this out so that the two switches operate both lights independently,
cheers

You should start your own post not hijack another members.

And try to include diagrams/photos.

oh, i thought that since it was basically a variant of the same question, that it would go in this thread. sorry, pls delete these posts and i will start another thread...

It's OK, the post you hijacked was a year old so they won't be too upset. When you do start a new post please do explain exactly what color and how many cables and how many cores in each cable are at each light switch and the fittings. Photos are even better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back