Ocean alpha 240 eco

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler for heating is great but hot water is awful - need to put the heating on to get hot water. Without the heating, If you run the hot water for long enough you will get very hot water but the radiators are hot aswell??? Is it the 3 way valve or I have heard that the diaphragm in these boilers is a weak point - any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your last suggestion is the most likely cause of your problem.

Its not a "weak point" but just a part that has a limited life and will need changing every 4-7 years.

Tony

If you search on Alpha 240 you should find plenty. Diaphragm/diverter, yes.

Thanks for that Agile - any tips on how to go about changing it? and where to get one from?
Thanks so far!!

Sponsored Links
MJT Controls perhaps?

Its reasonably easy to change if you have experience of working on similar equipment.

Tony

Now i have a gas leak through the boiler - this has been found by accident while diagnosing a leak from my gas hob, that has been fixed but my boiler has been cut off by the national grid man. He found a lot of gas going straight through to the flue with the boiler turned off. What would cause this? the gas valve? if so where could i source one from - I realise that this is a CORGI job but i just want to find a price / get the part for my gasman. Thanks in advance for any help

wol

If you really had a "gasman" then he would probably want to get the gas valve himself!

The seal on the pilot light magnetovalve is usually open and when its closed they often leak. Operating them a few times can sometimes cause the leak to disappear.

Tony

Thanks for your comments Agile, I appreciate what you are saying - my comments probably sound like I have every intention of doing it myself - this is not the case. In all honesty all I wanted was to make sure that I don't pay through the nose for any parts that are used.

I will try turning the pilot on and off a few times to see if I get any joy that way - I will need him to do the test at the meter though to check for a leak??

Thanks again

wol

There is a "semi test" you can do your self.

Turn off the gas at the meter and wait a timed 10 minutes. Then turn on a small ring on the hob and see if you can hear a hiss of gas.

Do a test at first for a few seconds so you know what a pipeful of gas sounds like.

If there is a good hiss after 10 minutes then repeat it at 20 minutes.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back