Wiring an isolator switch with 3 Core SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4 pole 32A Rotary Isolator switch which I am planning to use to Isolate the supply to a Hot Tub. The supply is fed from a 3 Core 6mm2 SWA cable.

The Isolator switch is obviously designed to switch 3 phase and Neutral and has two other earth connection points.

My question are -

Why is the Neutral connection point smaller than the other 3 connection points (It does not indicate neutral on it but it seems a safe bet) - allowing only a smaller cable to be connected to it?

Can I use one of the phase connection points to switch the neutral instead since I am only single phase anyway?

I assume I connect the 3rd core (used as Earth) along with the Armour to the earth connection points and this remains unswitched?

The switch is CED Rotary switch supplied by Screwfix.

Advice appreciated.

After I have finished the complete installation will be inspected, tested and certificated by a Part P qualified electrician - but I'm trying to get it right from the start and don't want to look a complete idiot.

Thanks...
Maurice

Sponsored Links
In 3-phase supplies the Neutral carries either no load, or a reduced load.

If you are switching a single-phase circuit use two of the Phase contacts.

The earth must be unswitched.

the armour must be earthed at least at the supply end.

If you are in England this is notifiable work and not very suitable for an amateur. the qualified electrician is supposed to install it, and test and certify his own work. Only a local Goverment inspector can inspect and certify someone else's work, and will have to see it during installation as well as at completion. You have to notify before starting work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back