Is this a common sight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
S8002574.jpg

What's this tacky gloopy-looking drool? :eek:

(Also, is this TN-S? :oops: )

Sponsored Links
Looks like TNS. A picture of the cutout whole would be nice.

Its tar leaking from the cutout. Call the DNO, they'll replace it FOC i think.

What's this tacky gloopy-looking drool? :eek:

(Also, is this TN-S? :oops: )

The gloopy stuff is tar from your service head/supply cable and means you need to put a call into your DNO to get them to come and sort it.

As for TN-S? I dunno - it lookslike there may be an old earth taped to the sheath there in a sort of crude TN-S. I'm sure the DNO would sort that for you too at the same time.

Crude TN-S?

Looks like apretty standard lead sheathed TN-S to me. That assumes your installation is connected to the provided terminal.

As for the tar, it is an all to common sight. It could easily have been like this from day one. The DNO are unlikely to do anything unless there is signs of overheating.

Sponsored Links
Defo TN-S.

Tails *look* to be 16mm with a 10mm earth, The earth should be 16mm to comply to the current regs, but at 10mm it is retrospectively fine until you have a CU upgrade or similar. As a point of note, 6mm earths where more common.

Do you also have a second CU? You have some newer looking tails going from left to right (the grey ones). These look to be taken from the top of the incomer of the old CU - not a great practice.

Does not look like there is too much to be concerned with when thinking of immediate danger etc, but could do with updating.

Have you checked your bonding?

As for the tar, it is an all too common sight. It could easily have been like this from day one. The DNO are unlikely to do anything unless there is signs of overheating.

Strange you should say that, when I saw the first photo, I thought "that could be a sign of overheating".
Of course I defer your greater experience, but on a recent thread there was a photo of a burnt out cu, and one of the tarry cables had started to "bead up" on the surface, presumably as a result of heat.
Also, there's no dust on the tar so it could be fresh.

Do you also have a second CU? You have some newer looking tails going from left to right (the grey ones). These look to be taken from the top of the incomer of the old CU - not a great practice.

Have you checked your bonding?

Tails go off to shower's RCBO.

S8002560.jpg

S8002561.jpg

Fantastic terminating! :eek:

Lectrician wrote:

As for the tar, it is an all too common sight. It could easily have been like this from day one. The DNO are unlikely to do anything unless there is signs of overheating.

regsmyth wrote;

Strange you should say that, when I saw the first photo, I thought "that could be a sign of overheating".
Of course I defer your greater experience, but on a recent thread there was a photo of a burnt out cu, and one of the tarry cables had started to "bead up" on the surface, presumably as a result of heat.
Also, there's no dust on the tar so it could be fresh.

i would have to agree with lectrician here, was at a house doing some work couple of years back now when the YEDL guy turned up to do their bit, i enquired about the black tar ooze at this certain property and the guy seemed unconcerned and said that its quite common to see this, he said it never concerned him unless there were other indications that something was wrong.

regards.

Well what exactly is the black tar stuff?

Is it used as a seal of some sort?

the tar is clearly black and shiny, so it is new and fresh, or it would be coated with dust and cobwebs.

you mention an electric shower...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back