red light won`t go out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have swopped my old shower ceiling switch for a new one, everything is fine except i can`t figure out why the red light on the ceiling switch will not go out completely when i turn it off. i`ve tried swopping the neutral wires around but to no avail. the light is dim when the power is off and bright when the power is on, help!

Sponsored Links
I have the same problem with the light not going out but I can't get to swap the wires, as suggested, for a couple of weeks and the shower is currently being used - is it dangerous to keep using it?

Sponsored Links
Fiona
Not dangerous in itself - but defeats object of indicator (the DP switch always gives protection downstream when truly off). You should also have a visible on/off readable indicator. Use this until you can swop the connections as suggested by Steve.

Unfortunately another problem has arisen with the shower. The light has now gone out totally and the shower with it. This happened last night when the shower was being used and it just cut out completely - both the water supply and the ceiling light.

It didn't knock off the trip switch so i'm wondering if that means it's not the electric wiring but the shower unit itself. It's a new unit installed 4 weeks ago so it a bit strange if it's faulty already.

Any ideas on what to do or how to better identify the problem would be greatly received.

Thanks

Look in your fuse box / consumer unit. See where the shower MCB is? Is there another switch near it with a TEST button on the same module? Could you take a picture of the consumer unit, and its surrounding area, and upload it here or email it to me (adress in profile, click my name).

Given it appears the whole circuit is dead, This seems a logical place to start. Its highly unlikely your shower has gone wonky.

I can't unfortunatley as I'm not living in the house at the moment and it's rented - so the tenant wants it sorted pretty quick.

I think you're right and I doubt it is shower - on this occasion I think I will have to call out an "expert".

Thanks anyway, much appreciated.

Fiona

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back