Worcester Combi No Hot Water Problem/Homeserve problem !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

I have central heating and boiler cover with homeserve. Since last week I've had an intermittent problem where I get no hot water unless I put the heating on. All I have to do is press the heating button for around 30 seconds and then the hot water starts to work. Homeserve sent an engineer out he had a quick look and said he couldn't do anything unless the fault happens in front of him. This is an intermittent problem which happens probably once a day but is solved by putting the heating on for a few seconds, do they expect me to have no hot water until they arrive so they can see the problem !! ?

Any ideas what may be causing this problem so I can get back onto homeserve with some suggestions? The boiler is a Worcester Bosch Combi 28cdi.

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Sponsored Links
Could be a diverter valve (read diaphram) problem. These can be intermittent but progreesvily worsening problem, and not the most challenging thing to fix - but that does not really mean much to these service [chuckles quietly to himself] engineers.

Dan, I wouldn't touch a diaphragm repair on a worcester :eek: Too much can go wrong and leak afterwards.

I always run a mile when I come across these. You are obviously a better/braver man than I :LOL:

Thanks for the replies.

I think they are just trying to get out of doing some work. If I called a Corgi guy out of the yellow pages I'm sure he could fix it without having to see the problem.

Adam

Sponsored Links
Call them and tell them you want it fixed. Emphasise 'Time is of the essence' and you want it fixed within 7 working days. If they don't comply say you will employ your own engineer and forward the bill to them. ;)

I would recommend worcester on a fixed price call out of £185 inc parts.

Has Vaillant bought Homeserve?

Does Homeserve do warrantee repairs for GlowWorm?

As Dan says, a competent boiler engineer would check the boiler and propbably find the fault.

The last Homeserve one I saw had diagnosed the main exchanger blocked when in fact it was only the plate! No competent engineer would want to work for them!

Tony

The last couple of CDi's I did were not too bad at all (perhaps I was lucky). One of the poxy o-rings leaked, but I can't remeber what they were on. I think I fixed both by using the OLD ones instead of new.

I have afeeling they were on the filling loop section, but I could be wrong

Agile said:
Has Vaillant bought Homeserve?

Does Homeserve do warrantee repairs for GlowWorm?

Tony

Not that I know of. Group service are the muppets who do warranty calls on Glow Worms.

There was some association with Homeserve handling warranty registration or something, but I was categorically told they had nothing to do with the callouts etc.

I believe I am a fairly competant person and I do a lot of work for homeserve and I know a good few lads who do the same.

and at the end of the day IMHO if the fault is not displaying itself whilst you are there then you cannot fault find accuratly

you can merely guess and part throw.

I like homeserve and in my experiance is that they bend over back ward to sort a problem, and there is no way that their subbies like turning up to a boiler that is working as they have to keep reattend free of charge untill they find and fix the problem.

I can only think the you are talking about Servowarm engineers Tony as if the subbies looked to "get out of work" like has been described there would be alot more bankruptcies. and now Homeserve have sold Servowarm to NPower so they have all gone.

:)

And G4Y you are right mate, Group Service only repair boilers, if the fault is on the system then they call in Homeserve.

Just to let you know, homeserve are insisting that I call them when the problem re-occurs. They expect me to wait for an engineer to come out when the hot water goes off, even though I can switch the heating on for 30 seconds and have have hot water again !

As a test I rang a couple of corgi guys today and neither of them said call them back when the problem re-occurs.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

adam787_1 said:
As a test I rang a couple of corgi guys today and neither of them said call them back when the problem re-occurs.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

well why would they you will have to pay them whatever

:)

good luck

Agree with CM on this. Your expecting them to guess. There is very little that can be tested on a fully working boiler to pin point an intermittant fault.

It will almost certainly be the diaphragm but would you want to risk losing 1.5 hours labour plus a diverter/diaphragm on the off chance it might not be. Because im pretty sure they wouldn't get paid for their trouble

Next time it doesn't work try running two taps at the same time.

rob884 said:
It will almost certainly be the diaphragm but would you want to risk losing 1.5 hours labour plus a diverter/diaphragm on the off chance it might not be. Because im pretty sure they wouldn't get paid for their trouble.

And they most definatley wont get paid like they wont get paid to attend loads of times without solving the problem

its not a conspiracy against you and they hate not getting paid

The water flow through the boiler will be greater so will make the boiler work if the diaphragm has only got a small split in it. Helps prove the diaphragm is faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back