Decent Quality Sheds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I know a shed is a shed, but does anyone know what manufacturers are known to produce the best quality sheds?

And it must be reasonably priced. I don't want to spend double the amount, but a little extra for something decent, if you know what I mean.

Does anyone here own one of these and are they good quality?
http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=7054808

Thank you
morg

please advise

Sponsored Links
Pretty much all sheds prefab'd and erected in panels on site are the same. They are OK for the money, but obviously being mass produces cant be tailored to your needs. For instance, shelving ought to be free standing as the walls are made from thin timber which wont take heavy horizontal loads. The only real way to tell a quality shed is to look inside it at things like roofing strength, timber thickness etc.

The only difference you'll make is by building it yourself. It will be cheaper, and you can tailor it to your needs. Draw up a good set of plans, with a diagram for every wall showing details.

no they are not. Buy a shed from the companies that supply the diy sheds and youll get glorified fence panels with a roof. buy ones from the independent companies that buy them and you will see the difference. they may cost a bit more but you pay your money and take your choice.

I made my own, he say's swelling slightly with pride, to be honest it was easy.

Mind you it has fallen down and used for firewood now. (I jest)

I agree with Thermo, and to an extent Steve / Crafty, in that sheds bought from sheds are all similar, very poor quality materials, and very insubstantial. But if it is primarily space you're after, then go for one of these as they're cheaper. If you want quality, either go to an independent who make their own (quality and price will vary) Or make your own one, they're not hard to make.

Sponsored Links
Opinion will probably be divided on this but my current shed is a 10x8 one of ...

http://www.metal-sheds-online.co.uk/storemore/coledale-steel-sheds.shtml

Mine is all green though (I've had it about 4 years now and there were no white bits back then ;) )

Pretty much maintenance free as they state, I treated some of the high exposure edges to a coat of hammerite when I erected it and it still looks like new.

MW

I've got a metal one already, its not very good to be honest... I hate it. The door slider mechanism always breaks (would take me just under 5 secs to gain access, but you would hear the metal crashing miles away, so thats the only good point)

But I just think the wooden ones would suit me better, I do want this shed to last.

So what specs make a good shed?

the one I want has 12mm Shiplap T&G and 45 x 27mm framing, does sound decent enough to you?

And where are these independent companies? Can you please give me the names, thanks

Building it yourself is not that hard, but if you are put off even after seeing a step-by-step with pictures then maybe you should just buy one.

Just get any flat pack shed and buy some extra timber (treated 3x2) to strengthen it. The one you've seen is more like 2x1, pretty flimsy. Fix a 3x2 alongside every other upright and add some diagonals for bracing. To be honest the biggest reason that sheds 'break' is because they rot. So make sure it's elevated slightly/has good drainage and you treat it every few years.

Were you to build one you could recycle your metal shed to make roof panels.

Ok im gonna build it myself. Changed my mind in buying one, cheap crap.

I should be able to build it... I was a little dubious at first about taking on big projects, but I think I can do it.

And good idea about recycling the metal panels for the roof. I might use them, but wouldn't felt be better/stronger? Plus I don't want gaps where the roof meets side wall.

What size timber should I use for the frame? It's going to be a 8 x 12 workshop, 3x2 for the 4 main posts and 2x2 for the rest?

Thank You so much!

Having built a couple of sheds over the last couple of years, one thing I'd recommend (found it out on the second one) is to run metal strapping as a diagonal on each (exterior) side of the framework. It makes the structure really solid, and easier to get the roof/cladding on with no movement..

Both sheds cost approx the same as similar sized 'pre-built' ones, but are many times more robust. And as has been said before about the shelving - if you self build, you can get much more usefullness out of the inside if you can mount shelving on the walls!

morg said:
Ok im gonna build it myself. Changed my mind in buying one, cheap rubbish.

I should be able to build it... I was a little dubious at first about taking on big projects, but I think I can do it.

And good idea about recycling the metal panels for the roof. I might use them, but wouldn't felt be better/stronger? Plus I don't want gaps where the roof meets side wall.

What size timber should I use for the frame? It's going to be a 8 x 12 workshop, 3x2 for the 4 main posts and 2x2 for the rest?

Thank You so much!

This has all been covered several times before, see previous workshop/shed threads. No doubt Big-All will be along shortly posting pics of his (very nice) shedshop. :)

For the frame, don't use less then 3x2. Any insulation plans?? (things get more complicated and pricey if you do)

The metal panels used on most metal sheds are the same profile as metal roofing sheets. You'd get some trim to cover the edges and ridge, but probably best to use osb for the roof and fix the sheets on top.

Excellent, thanks again for helping peeps, really helpful info :)

I do plan on insulating it, just polysterene panels on side walls and ceilings, then perhaps clad the inside then? (or plywood)

Just about to design the frame with CAD, work out how much wood is needed. Would be nice to see big al's workshop, just to get some ideas would be great.

thanks again

Deluks said:
This has all been covered several times before, see previous workshop/shed threads. No doubt Big-All will be along shortly posting pics of his (very nice) shedshop. :)

i actualy dont like to keep posting my shed as i feel like i am forcing it down peoples throats :cry: :cry:

but i also feel strongly that some of my ideas are worth sharing as they make maximum good use of the space and by thinking outside the box i have approched it from a users angle but still had the ecenomical use of materials for example for a floor size of 10ft x 12ft i only used 9 8x4sheets of ply for both the roof and the floor

total cost of wood was around £600

Nice workshop, thanks for posting it!

Did you use special cuts for adjoining the frame? Like when you cut gaps and slot em in style?

cheers

no joints as such the sides as you look in the door are basicly butt jointed rectangles made from 2x3" timber every 2ft with 2 x4" screws or nails top and bottom so you basicaly have a frame 6 foot high and 12 foot long

these where screwed to the floor to give a flush face with the edge of the floor ply and temporary diagonal bracing to the floor

"A" frames for the roof again made from 3x2"with triangular 12mm ply each side to hold them together at the joins

"A" frames at between 2ft and 4ft centres screwed directly through the top into the frames
spaced to match the position required to join the boards which incidently are 6" out compared to the wall apart from the ends becase of the 6" overhang each end

the ends are then made like an upturned comb that screws under the "A" frames at each endand because the "A"frames are 2" plus 2x!"mm ply they = 3"of the frame at right angles

this desighn allows large open end all you need is sufficient wall to brace diagonaly to give rigidity

hope that answers your question :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back