should I/ shouldn't I?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a brand new house and I\\\'m considering laying my own tiles in my kitchen(slate on concrete floor). I am of average DIY ability. Is this a good idea or do i require professional help? (Not medical). :confused:

Sponsored Links
Your main problem is not so-much your ability but if it's worth it to you.

Bearing in mind you could easily spend around £40-£50 or more depending on the tiles and the cuts, for tools you may never use again. You may also need an extra box of tiles to allow for breakages.

I would get a couple of quotes and them decide, after taking the above into account.

Thank's for the advice. Area is 22'x9' so i'm guessing it will be quite expensive. I'll get a couple of quotes and take it from there.

Many thanks. :D

After your quotes, if you still fancy having a go, help and advice is available on the forum.

Good Luck

Sponsored Links
I always say have ago even if it will cost you money in the long run, you never learn otherwise, if you're sure not what to do, there're plenty people here to help you here 24/7 , oh dear it that's the time :LOL:

I have wasted money on my property in the first few years but now it's paying off :D

Remember this " A man who never made a mistakes, never did anything ! "

Hami this is right up my alley as I am just completing this job for my very first time and so far so good!(Cross your fingers!) It is alot of hard work but then you won't be tearing out 3 layers of lino and a sub floor first so it wont take you quite as long. I could not believe the number of nails and screws in the original floor that was laid by the builder of my 44 year old house! But I am now at the finishing stage and the floor looks great already. Its quite abit cheaper to do it yourself but if you have help like I did, its been a fun project and its nice to see the results looking so good.. If you have the money to pay a tiler to do it then save your energy but if its a matter of economics, try it but get a helper!! Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back