Country
United Kingdom
my boiler switches on and off every
60 seconds once up to full temp.
this only happens when heatings on. (not
with hot water) checked thermostats and they
are ok

Sponsored Links
I assume you have a fully pumped system. HW valve OK but not CH valve. Look at them when they operate on switching on heat. Could be CH valve is not operating or it is faulty. Other possibilities include blocked pipes due to crud caused by lack of inhibitor in water.

my heating/ hot water are heating ok but when
they reach max temp instead of shutting down
for 20 minuets or so it goes off for 60 seconds then starts up again for 60 seconds and so on

You said earlier no problem on hot water side and that you have checked thermostats. Fault as I suggested earlier looks likely to be CH valve not operating properly or duff contacts.
I really wonder if thermostats are operating properly. Easy to check wiring for operation with neon screwdriver whatever the fault is. This would also show why boiler is not shutting down until heat demanded by thermostats.

[Edited by Hamiltonandy on 08-11-2002 at 15:55 PM GMT]

Sponsored Links
Short cycling, as this problem is called, is usually caused by a faulty room thermostat. Inside the thermostat is a small component called a resistor. The purpose of this is surprisingly to heat the thermistat very slightly when the contacts open. Over time the thermostat cools sufficiently for the contacts to close again. If this reistor has failed, and they often do, then the thermostat cools too quickly and the heating is switched on again and the cycle repeats. The answer is to replace the room thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back