SOCKET DISTANCE FROM SINK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking at having a utility room built for my washing machine etc but also want a toilet and small wash basin in there.

My question is if I am to have sockets in this room to run the washer etc am I able to, if they are a certain distance (1.8m?) away from the wc/basin? What would this room be classed as?

Cheers ok m8

Sponsored Links
the electrical fittings must be suitable for their installation.

So if they are not splash-proof, they must be in a position where they are not likely to get splashed.

So, higher than the sink, and at least 300mm from the edge of the sink is the minimum spacing.

Old timers prefer it to be far enough away that you can't get one hand to a tap and one hand to a socket, but this is not a regulation.

If you can get the appliances and their switches on the opposite wall from the sink that would be good.

If you are having a new electrical circuit (which would be wise if you are going to have a washing machine and a tumble drier in there) then have it priotected by an RCD or RCBO. Use single sockets, not doubles, for these appliances. Two large appliances plugged into a double socket will cause it to overheat.

If you put a fixed shower (or a bath) in there, the rules are much more onerous.

Old timers prefer it to be far enough away that you can't get one hand to a tap and one hand to a socket, but this is not a regulation.

Oh contrare JD
421-05-02/03
Ok it's not to do with sinks but is a regulation on arms reach :LOL:

there is no regulation 421-05-02/03....

not in the 16th edition 2004 amendmended..

chapter 42 is thermal effects ..

Sponsored Links
:oops: thought it was just me that couldn't find it.

there is no regulation 421-05-02/03....

not in the 16th edition 2004 amendmended..

chapter 42 is thermal effects ..

I have dredged it out and its the same in 1997 amendmented (yellow)

Comms, you must have a really old book :LOL:

Well, I've got my first (Red) 16th book here & 421 is listed as

"(Reserved for future use)"

The yellow edition only has 421-01-01.

421 in the 15th talks very briefly (4 lines) about Thermal Effects.

There is no 421 in the 14th.... :LOL:

Although there is section D21.... ;)

There is no legal minimum distance for sockets near a basin or sink. If you must, you can stick them right next to the tap in such a way that if you turn the spout you can fill them up. Might not be wise though.
There are good gidelines however; common sense and erring on the side of caution. No requirement, but supplementary bonding will not hurt or cost a lot. Same for rcd. And make sure there is at least a 10 mm going from the stopcock and the ecv to the met, and at least a 16 mm from the sheath of the incoming to the met and the cu. Every house should have that, but I would be surprised if so much as 50 % is okay.

There is no legal minimum distance for sockets near a basin or sink.
There is no legal requirement to follow BS7671 either. However there is a legal requirement to ensure that reasonable precuations are taken to prevent danger from electrical installations.

If you must, you can stick them right next to the tap in such a way that if you turn the spout you can fill them up. Might not be wise though.
An ordinary socket in such a posistion would definitely be in violation of the appropriate for it's environment reg in BS7671 and would probablly be a violation of the legal requirement to take reasonable precautions to prevent danger.

Sorry peeps my mistake it's
412-05-02/03
:oops:

But like I said it's nothing to do with sinks.

16th ed regs (brown)

412-05-02 is to do with exposed live parts.. such as overhead power lines and crane tracks etc..

412-05-03 is to do with barriers protecting live parts...

nothing at all to do with kettles and toasters..

as there is no set distance ask yourself this..

do you want to risk being able to knock the kettle or toaster into the sink while washing up?

522-03-01 A wiring system shall be selected and erected so that no damage is caused by condensation or ingress of water during installation, use and maintenance.

At least thats what GN1 quotes on the subject. also quotes 300mm from edge of the sink unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back