wiring colour code

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone helpwith a query I have? When I opened up the junction box for the upstairs bedroom lights,to re route a cable.I noticed that the feed coming to the box had three coloured wires plus the sleeved earth wire . The extra wire is coloured yellow and it and the black wire are sleeved with a black sleeve. I can trace all the bedroom cables but there is a cable connected to this yellow cable which goes away to the edge of the attic then I lost it.The house is fifty years old but I think it was rewired in the seventies.

Sponsored Links
Strange that theres black sleeve on them. Could you take a picture of the junction?

The yellow core should be with a red, a blue and an earth in the same core. Correct? This cable is normally used where you have two switches controlling the same light fitting, though it can be used to carry a neutral to a switch location, if one is needed.

The cable that goes to the edge of the loft - look downstairs and see if theres a switch or fitting on the wall there.

Thanks Steve, yes the four wires are in the same core, My initial thought wwas that it was for the stair light but that is connected to the downstairs fuse. I will put a picture up as soon as possible thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back