wiring colours in new extension

I will contact Building Control and see what they say about red/black wiring. Will post back with their comments.

They'll read directly from a book, apply no common sense as they're mostly incapable of thinking outside of the box then tell you that it MUST be brown/blue. I'd bet my house on it!

Sponsored Links
I want to do the layout myself because I don't want the hassle of providing a detailed final design. Also I can change my mind any number of times (or at least my wife can).
Well someone is going to have to do it - as per regulation 514.9. It can done provisionally first and then amended as SWMBO changes her mind. Just make sure she finalises things before the plasterboard goes up. ;)

I intend to get a private electrician to connect up everything and certify the work (although I was tempted by an inspectors suggestion that I could do all the work and get them to certify it!).
As I said before, he cannot certify the work unless he is involved in each stage of the process - to do so would be in breach of his competent persons scheme requirements. Speak to him before you start!

I will contact Building Control and see what they say about red/black wiring. Will post back with their comments.
If there anything like mine they will simply say does it comply with the current regulations?
In which case your back to Ban's quazi legal interpretation of the relationship between the Building Regulations and BS7671.
Invariably, though if they say they want it done in a certain way are you going to argue against them?

If there anything like mine they will simply say does it comply with the current regulations?

120.3 - Any intended departure from these Parts requires special consideration by the designer of the installation and shall be noted on the Electrical Installation Certificate specified in Part 6. The resulting degree of safety of the installation shall be not less than that obtained by compliance with the Regulations.

I reckon red/black and noted on the EIC would pretty much be covered.

hi riveralt

Ok ok I'll get leccy in but only to agree the cable runs - I'm going to insist on the sawing/drilling. With respect to all electricians I know the structure inside out and would not want anybody sawing/drilling into my carefully crafted woodwork and insulation. All the work will be open to view so there is no question of not being able to certify it.

Sponsored Links
hi GaryMo

I'm warming to the idea of your house(lol). If I split the proceeds with BC maybe they'll agree to red/black!

I knew BC was probably the best place to start but am reluctant to contact the planning dept since they always succeed in depressing me - especially when I get the sick leave, on holiday, leave a message treatment. And it'll probably involve another trivial planning amendment application (which always has an 8 week decision time). I'm hoping this new NPPF planning policy will speed things up.

This red/black issue must have cropped up many times so we'll see what they say. [/b]

I'll probably regret that! Lol

Seriously though, BC will probably want the installation to comply with BS7671 without any departures as they just complicate things for people who can't think outside of the box.

You have to ask yourself what constitutes the biggest danger or confusion to a general DIY'er who decides to carry out future work on an installation:

1 - Extending existing circuits wired in red/black insulated conductors with red/black insulated conductors.

2 - Extending existing circuits wired in red/black insulated conductors with brown/blue insulated conductors and placing a sticker on the consumer unit notifying of mixed coloured conductors within the installation.
Exactly.

Riveralt - which do you think is safer?

Seriously though, BC will probably want the installation to comply with BS7671 without any departures as they just complicate things for people who can't think outside of the box.
If someone whose competence they accept signs an EIC which identifies departures they can't do anything about it.

Departing from the regulations in a way which satisfies 120.3 does not result in a contravention.

You have to ask yourself what constitutes the biggest danger or confusion to a general DIY'er who decides to carry out future work on an installation:
1 - Extending existing circuits wired in red/black insulated conductors with red/black insulated conductors.
2 - Extending existing circuits wired in red/black insulated conductors with brown/blue insulated conductors and placing a sticker on the consumer unit notifying of mixed coloured conductors within the installation.
Exactly.
Riveralt - which do you think is safer?
The answer to the question raised is that both are safe - but as always it will depend on the person fitting it.
I take it you are withdrawing your comment that because I have a couple of reels of the old cable colours 'the law demands that they be used' when I extend a circuit previously installed with the old colours.
Since no such law exists.

The answer to the question raised is that both are safe
Which is more safe?

I take it you are withdrawing your comment that because I have a couple of reels of the old cable colours 'the law demands that they be used' when I extend a circuit previously installed with the old colours.
Absolutely not.

Since no such law exists.
Yes it does.

Phoned BC (North Herts) - not something we can comment on - go talk to an electrician.

Phoned 3 electricians - advised change to blue/brown. If I tried more may get someone to do red/black but can do without the hassle. Need to buy new cable and scrap perfectly good red/black. Crazy world.

Once again thanks for responses

Need to buy new cable and scrap perfectly good red/black. Crazy world.
Stick the red/black cable on ebay. Make sure you highlight the fact it uses old colours as that will increase it's value substantially. Use the proceeds to purchase blue/brown and go out for dinner with the difference.

Thanks for that idea - never thought anybody would buy it. But it looks as if there may be a continuing need for red/black for buildings on red/black. Especially where sockets/lighting get extended and no need for BC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back