replacing ceramic hob, almost like for like

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently dropped something onto our smeg ceramic hob (SE2640TC1, I think, came with the flat and no documentation), it chipped at first and then eventually cracked all the way through the ceramic. It appears to work fine still, but obviously isn't safe or atheticly right.

We have purchased a new Smeg SE2641TC1 to replace it with. The only technical difference I can see between the two is that the nominal power for the existing hob (if it's the model we suspect) is 6.2kW, but for the new one 6.6kW.

Is replacing the hob a simple job of taking one out and plugging/wiring the other, in that with some very basic knowledge we could do ourselves, or is it a job for an electrician?

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Are you able to identify what circuit on your fuseboard the hob is connected to and what the fuse is? Also does this fuse only serve the hob or does it power something else too?

If its the only thing on that circuit you are probably OK if we are talking about a 30 or 32A fuse with correct sized cable.

It will not be plug in though. It will be hardwired into a terminal box on the hob.

Thanks, I've inspected the fuseboard and found it comes with a nice little card telling me what is what:

1. Supply to Hob Radical

Cable ref:
Live:10mm
C.P.C.: 4.0mm
Type: 6242B

Protection:
Rating: 32.A.
Type: MCB-B

So the fuse is ok. I've turned it off at the trip switch and it doesn't appear to affect any other supply than the hob, so asuming this information is correct.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou very much, now just gotta hope I get a bright enough day to turn the mains off to do it.... then yes, definately - mulled wine!

No need to isolate the whole board, just turn off the hob isolator and the hob MCB at the board

Oh, and see if there is an electrical contractors name on that card, keep the number for future reference, the circuit schedule is a requirement of BS7671, yet the vast majority of domestic installations do not have one... his attention to detail is good :)

Not sure where the logic behind the strange 5 amp plug sockets dotted everywhere came from...
They are to plug your table lamps into. You can buy 5 amp plugs. You'll have a bunch of switches, possibly dimmers, that control these sockets (perhaps you thought they did nothing, spare?)

radical_SR3.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back