Fixing Skirting, when walls aren't straight and bricks weak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have read quite a few posts on here and gathered this so far.

Screws are best, followed by pink grip.

My screws often find crumbling bricks, so I have used the pink grip, though on an uneven wall (new board and skim) there are gaps.

Can I use the holes I have drilled to fit in some sort of plasterboard plug which can pull in the skirting?

Does this exist? (some large wings that open out behind the board once inserted).

Will the board + skim be strong, flexible enough?
There won't be that much movement, just a mm or 2.

Sponsored Links
one (uncommon) method

fit 18mm sq battens to the wall, lined up with where the top of the skirting will be, and,. say 18mm up from the floor. Plug and screw then to the walls. If the wall is very soft or crumbly you can retain the plugs with gripfill or other materials

when the battens are firm you can fix the skirtings to them with anything you want. Small csk screws mean you can take then off later if you want to. You can also run speaker cables or TV coax in the gap between teh battens if you want (but not power cables)

you can trim, fill or straighten the plaster to line up with the battens

Sponsored Links
There are two ways I approach weak brickwork. Firstly I don't use the hammer action on my drill as with bad bricks it obviously smashes them to bits just use the normal torque on your drill and a masonary bit, and secondly if you are using "say a brown plug and the screw spins, take the screw out and knock and red plug into the brown plug and try again, but turn the screw slower than you normally would so it can bite better, :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back