Vaillant EcoTec Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I have hd a Vaillant Eco tec installed in August - since then it has been losing pressure every week or so. I have had the engineers come back out and they have replaced 2 pipes on different occassions.

I kid you not when I say that I have reset the damn thing nearly 20 times - On saturday morning I went to use my hot water and NO WATER came out - I had to reset it. I came in last night and needed to reset it again as it had lost all its pressure - although water was still coming from the tap this time

I have had to do the same thing tonight - I have searched high and low for a leak and I cant fin one - im at my witts end

Any idea's?

Sponsored Links
turn off the boiler isolation valves and see it the pressure drops it might be the heat ex leaking, check overnight , turn the boiler off, if it holds then it has to be the system leaking

If you start diy-ing on a newly installed boiler, you are risking voiding the warranty. Don’t do it, call the installer back as many times as it takes. At the end of the day it is his problem, not yours

Ive changed a couple of PRV's on ecotecs recently. Seems to be a recurring theme at the mo for some reason

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the prv discharge out side? I would think so if manufacturers have been out.

I would certainly think that it is a leak on your heating system and not the boiler, theres no where for the leak to go inside the boiler, unless the h ex has gone and it is going out of the condensate.

But then surely this would have been checked, unless that is you have had the Glow Worm numpties from group service out instead of proper Vaillant engineers :eek:

I have just spoken to my engineer with regards this problem - he told me I must have a water leak!

He said let me know when you find it and I will come round. Says there will be nothing wrong with the boiler itself which is why there must be a water leak

I shouldnt have to find the leak should I?

4 months is well within warranty period. IF the installer has given written warranty. No paper, no warranty. At least not if you follow sales of goods act. One could argue though about - goods not comformng to contract – which applies to services as well. Unless of course the installer mentioned that you pipework or rads and valves are not too pukka.
Remember that sugar catches flies a lot better than vinegar.

I never warrant any existing pipe work or rads on a boiler change and always state this as a disclaimer in the quote.

4 months is well within warranty period. IF the installer has given written warranty. No paper, no warranty. At least not if you follow sales of goods act. One could argue though about - goods not comformng to contract – which applies to services as well. Unless of course the installer mentioned that you pipework or rads and valves are not too pukka.
Remember that sugar catches flies a lot better than vinegar.

Well all that I got from him was the Corgi certificate :confused:

Chances are that you misunderstood. The only corgi certificates I have seen are those given to an rgi to confirm that they are officially recognised. Engineers do not give out corgi certificates. What is the cert actually called? The one you should have had from him is called BENCHMARK, it is very thick paper, and blue on white. If you do not have that, contact corgi and ask them for an inspector to check the work because you are worried about the safety

Most new boilers now have the Benchmark printed in the service/installation instructions.

Chances are that you misunderstood. The only corgi certificates I have seen are those given to an rgi to confirm that they are officially recognised. Engineers do not give out corgi certificates. What is the cert actually called? The one you should have had from him is called BENCHMARK, it is very thick paper, and blue on white. If you do not have that, contact corgi and ask them for an inspector to check the work because you are worried about the safety

This is good advice - I meant to say that the Corgi certificate was send about 4-5 weeks after installation.

I will ask for Benchmark though - definately did not recive that. As per the post above though will check in the instructions

Thanks for the advice - its driving me mad as I definately can not see any leak :cry:

Part of the process of registering a boiler with £orgi is to tick a box that says the Benchmark has been completed :eek:

You say its been leaking since fitment..why has it taken so long to do anything about it?
I would have called him out straight away

Silly question but do you have to bleed the rads at all,if so do you repressurize afterwards?

Its a bit stupid for the plumber to tell you to find the leak...thats HIS job,thats why you called him

I would say he has the money and dosnt want the hassle of looking at it coz it would be a freebe,might be just very busy though and hasnt got the time

As said..turn it off and isolate the boiler
Look to see if the pressure relief pipe is getting wet at the outlet,or dripping

funnily enough my prv outlet is wet and drips sometimes(due to look at it xmas)from ecotec 618.....hmmmmmm

Part of the process of registering a boiler with £orgi is to tick a box that says the Benchmark has been completed :eek:

Does that mean that corgi will send someone to fix the boiler if the manufacturer’s engineer walks out because at a warranty call-out because you show him the pristine benchmark sheet, so pristine that even all the boxes are empty?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back