Contacts for UPVC Door/Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wondered do they exist, I need to fit contacts on UPVC doors, and I'm looking if there's a contact that is easy to fit...

my doors are not flat at the top, and haven't got enough space to fit the moving part of the contact...they're at an angle

Sponsored Links
The new plastic doors are a nightmare. It's much easier stick a PIR in the hallway as they cost less than a tenner and you won't risk messing up your door. You can get a contact and rub it on sand paper to get the angle but it's a fiddle to do.

I just wondered do they exist, I need to fit contacts on UPVC doors, and I'm looking if there's a contact that is easy to fit...

my doors are not flat at the top, and haven't got enough space to fit the moving part of the contact...they're at an angle

don`t worry they work at any angle - but best to let a pro do this job

Sponsored Links
Drilling holes in the door with contacts at odd angles is a complete bodge job.

If you can't get them flush and neat by filing/sanding them at an angle then for heaven's sake use a PIR in the corner.

It's your door that is being ruined.

don`t worry they work at any angle - but best to let a pro do this job

come on Mr Pro, give us a tip please :)

er i did but it got deleted - so

connect it all up then use the system walk test (or chime) to make sure it works BEFORE YOU DRILL YOUR DOOR, ignore the doomsayers we drill and screw them just like the handles or letterbox - as for sanding things ?

Get the magnet contact. Rub it on sandpaper at the same angle as your door until it is wedge shaped and you will be able to get both contacts flush with each other.

That's how we pros do it.

Don't put them on all wonky it'll look AWFUL.

Get the magnet contact. Rub it on sandpaper at the same angle as your door until it is wedge shaped and you will be able to get both contacts flush with each other.

Don't put them on all wonky it'll look AWFUL.

how do you cope with grade3 contacts?

O/P trust me - its not how we pro`s do it, its a good idea but it`s not what we do the magnet will work in a circle round the contact - as long as the ends line up you`ll be fine

It's the way the good pros do it (not the cowboys). You shape the magnet so that it sits side by side with the other contact. Contacts are made to be flush - not sticking out all over the shop. It would look hideous.

Do it as I tell you - it's the way we pros do it.

It's the way the good pros do it (not the cowboys). You shape the magnet so that it sits side by side with the other contact. Contacts are made to be flush - not sticking out all over the shop. It would look hideous.

do you mean I can rub a chunk of the magnet as well as the surrounding plastic of teh moving part of the contact?

You should only need to rub the magnet section of the contact at the same angle as the door. You may have to use a spacer under the contact itself if it is considerably lower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back