Open or sealed central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester 280 boiler but was originally told the radiator system wouldn't stand the pressure of a sealed system. I'm now told by someone else that the system would be only 1.25 Bar and the radiators could take up to 10 Bar. What are the pros and cons of converting to a sealed system?

Sponsored Links
need to insert filling loop and cap outlet to overfow tank Shouldn't cost much more than £100 Not sure if its worth doing if ok with existing setup

the whole system would be able to take the pressure of a sealed system. sealed systems are better because they dont draw air into the system and the system will not sludge.

Sponsored Links
Sealed systems run at about 1.5 bar, not high pressure in real terms. Joints, pipes, fittings and rads (etc) which are not leaking now, will not leak under 1.5 bar pressure. Sealed systems 1) get hotter quicker, 2) do not draw in air (as per previous post), which reduces corrosion, 3) do not need a header tank, which saves you loft space. My opinion would be to go for it. I have a sealed system which is fantastic. Only drawback is a small cost element for filling loop components (non-return service valve plus pressure gauge) and the need to manually check / top-up the pressure every couple of months or whenever system has been bled / altered.

HTH - Kind Regards.
________
CJG, U.K

Thanks for this advice CJG - does the regular checking/topping up involve going up into the loft? (it's not as convenient in our house as in most people's)

i dont think it will involve going in the loft as cjg said you dont need a tank in the loft with a sealed system :eyes....

Hello again -

As per previous post, there's no need to go into the loft.

The filling loop consists of an isolated (ie, having a non-return valve fitted inline) connection between your cold water main and your heating circuit (usually into the return not the flow). You're lucky if you are considering fitting this from scratch, since you can site the valve wherever convenient to you. It's that valve you need to open periodically to top up your system.

In terms of checking - you can site a pressure gauge at the same point or your boiler may already have one.

HTH, Kind Regards.
________
CJG, U.K

Thanks again - I think I've got enough info now to make the decision!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back