Help how do I remove the Thermostat head from Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
We have a cold bedroom radiator, and from all the previous posts I can see that it is more then likely the valve is stuck. However I cant get off the thermostat cap. Any help would be much appreciated as it is freezing....
:eek:

Sponsored Links
Theres some crap giacomini ones kicking about. They have a ring that needs prising away from the brass part of the valve.
Whatever type it is, it will be best to set the valve to its highest setting. Usually #5 before removing it and when putting it back on again

Thanks everyone, why are these things made so difficult? Still can't get it off, it definately doesn't screw off, and can't see a little screw anywhere. I know if I can just get it off then I will be able to sort it.
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Wow I finally worked out how to get it off the bolt underneath as someone suggested. Husband now working on it, can't work out how to get the valve back in now he has pulled it all the way out. LOL can you tell he is an accountant:cool:

do you mean the pin?

have you pulled it off, or is it just fully extended?

Lol John this conversation is turning into dirty talk ;)
Husband pulled it all the way out by accident, instead of just a bit doh, so we have got it back in but can't get it any lower, so now can't get the bloody thermastat back on. At least the radiator is on now, just can't control anything lol. Wow we are so crap at DIY!

so did he just extend the pin, or did the pin come away so it was no longer attached to the valve?

sorry John, he pulled the pin out so it was no longer attached to the valve. Basically he was holding the pin in his hand, he has now stuck it back in but won't go all the way in. Have we do some serious damage now?

buy a new valve.

is it a sealed (pressurised) system or do you have a small Feed & Expansion water tank in the loft?

Well we don't have a water tank in the loft, think it is a combi boiler.

Then you may get away without draining down. when you are ready to change the valve, shut the lockshield valve at the other end of the rad, open the drain cock enough to relieve the pressure, when it stops, put a bowl or emulsion roller tray under the rad valve and unscrew the old one. A couple of bucketfuls of water will come out but it should be slow enough that you should be able to catch it in the tray and empty it into a bucket.

you will have to repressurise it later.

or you can wait until summer comes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back