kitchen ceramic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just ripped out the kitchen completely and levelled the concrete floor - all ready for tiling. The kitchen arrives in a few days, should i completely tile the floor, under the units aswell, or wait till the kitchen is in? Also, does anybody know where to start tiling from - dad says the middle, brother says the edge. Help!! :rolleyes: Thanks v much.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I'm not sure about the kitchen units, but I had similar 'discussions' with friends and family about where you should start tiling from!

The advice in most books/web sites is that you should start from the centre. Have a look at:

http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/stry/diy13&bklist=<venda_bklist>

and the 'where to start' section!

It all depends on how square your walls are. I moved into a newish house (built in 2000) and tiled the bathroom floor - I started in the corner (easier so I didn't end up trapped or having to walk on the tiles before they dried/set). I had no problems at all and they look great (even though I say it myself!).

I laid them out first as best I could to try to see if they would fit square!

Hope this helps!

If you tile before then you will use more tiles that will not be seen. It is easier to tile an empty room as you will not have to cut any strange notches etc...

If you tile after fitting the kitchen, you need to make sure that the units legs are extended to allow for the thickness of the tiles (so your work surfaces are at the level you want them).

I would say use the centre of the room to determine best usage of tiles but tile from an edge. it will be very messy if you have to lean over tiles.

Topps tiles do a DVD that has some good pointers that they will give you free. I found it very useful when I laid our kitchen floor with warmups under floor heating.

Meblin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back