disconecting pully switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have taken out a pully switch in my bedroom but now the main switch doesn\\\'t work. There are 2 red wires and 2 blue coming out of the pully switch. How do I connect them so the main switch works?

Sponsored Links
2 red and 2 blue sounds wrong/dodgy

can you remember how the original switch was wired

Two red and two blue? That sounds dodgy for a start... you sure they ain't black?

Are you saying that the main switch and the pullswitch both operated the light before? If so, that's a two-way switching arrangement - look at the 'For Reference' thread at the top of the Electrics UK forum index to see how it might have been wired.

Sponsored Links
If it's two way switching there should be a yellow wire as well

squirrel there are plenty of methods of 2 way switching that do not involve 3 and earth

DIYBABY can you get a look from above (ie the loft space) to see what theese wires are doing

i CAN'T REMEMBER HOW IT WAS WIRED BEFORE. tHERE IS AN EARTH WHICH I HAVE WIRED. tHE PULL SWITCH HAS NOW BEEN THROWN AWAY. I HAVE BOUGHT A NEW ONE AND IT HAS 1 LIVE CONNECTION AND ANOTHER WITH COM1. rEALLY I WOULD LIKE TO JUST COVER UP THE HOLE IN THE CEILING AND WIRE IT ALL TO CONNECTION BOXES. iS THIS POSSIBLE...HELP THE LIGHT DOESN'T WORK BUT I NEED IT.
plugwash said:
2 red and 2 blue sounds wrong/dodgy

can you remember how the original switch was wired

what color was this "earth" wire

did you by any chance assume some yellow wires were earth?!
earth in british house wiring is done through bare cores which are sleeved with green/yellow sleeving

also what is the wiring like at the light fitting and at the wall switch

sorry its hard to be more helpfull but we can't really help until we have figured out wth is going on with your wiring

let this be a lesson to note down the connections before removing anything

tHE EARTH IS DEFINATELY THE EARTH WIRE.

i HAVE LOOKED AT THE WIRING IN THE MAIN LIGHT SWITCH AND THERE IS JUST 1 LIVE , 1 NUETRAL AND IT IS EARTHED
plugwash said:

earth in british house wiring is done through bare cores which are sleeved with green/yellow sleeving

sorry its hard to be more helpfull but we can't really help until we have figured out wth is going on with your wiring

i CAN'T UNDO THE LIGHT FITTING AT THE CEILING IT IS JAMMED STUCK. I ASSUME YOU JUST UNSCREW IT BUT THE WHOLE UNIT TURNS THEN GETS STUCK AND I AM AFRAID TO FORCE IT
plugwash said:

DIYBABY said:

i HAVE LOOKED AT THE WIRING IN THE MAIN LIGHT SWITCH AND THERE IS JUST 1 LIVE , 1 NUETRAL AND IT IS EARTHED
I doubt that - light switches very rarely have a neutral present, just live and switched live. What colours are the wires?

It would be very useful to know which wires are live at each switch, and if any run between the two. As well as failing to make notes when you removed the old switch, have you also failed to equip yourself with one of the essential tools for doing work like this, i.e. a multimeter?

DIYBABY said:
i CAN'T UNDO THE LIGHT FITTING AT THE CEILING IT IS JAMMED STUCK. I ASSUME YOU JUST UNSCREW IT BUT THE WHOLE UNIT TURNS THEN GETS STUCK AND I AM AFRAID TO FORCE IT
It never rains but it pours. Try tightening it up first - that can sometimes break the seal.

And BTW - please stop SHOUTING!

I havn't any equipment except a screwdriver, and 'normal' household tools.
The wires are 2 blue and 2 red and 1 earth.
ban-all-sheds said:
DIYBABY said:

I doubt that - light switches very rarely have a neutral present, just live and switched live. What colours are the wires?

It would be very useful to know which wires are live at each switch, and if any run between the two. As well as failing to make notes when you removed the old switch, have you also failed to equip yourself with one of the essential tools for doing work like this, i.e. a multimeter?

DIYBABY said:
It never rains but it pours. Try tightening it up first - that can sometimes break the seal.

And BTW - please stop SHOUTING!

DIYBABY said:
I havn't any equipment except a screwdriver, and 'normal' household tools.
If you want to work on your electrics, a multimeter becomes a "normal" household tool, just like the screwdrivers you use to gain access to the cables, and the wire cutters and strippers you use to prepare them.

Without any way to determine which wires are live, and which ones run between the switches, it might be very difficult for you to sort this out.

The wires are 2 blue and 2 red and 1 earth.
That's what you had at the pull-switch. What's at the other switch, the "main" one as you call it?

And just to set all our minds at rest about this red & blue stuff - are you sure that you're not looking at a 3 Core + Earth cable (Red, Blue, Yellow & Earth) with the yellow cut right back for some reason?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back