TREATMENT FOR MAHOGANY BANNISTER TOP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate advise regarding what finish to put on a length of mahogany banister (5ft x 8ins x 3ins).
Having spent quite sometime taking off the original varnish I thought that treating the surface with linseed oil might make a change. Would be pleased for any guidance. If varnish is recommended what name and type please.

Sponsored Links
linseed oil is great but it has a distinctive smell. So will your hands after you have walked downstairs.

I've used it outside for weather protection.

What made you choose it for the banisters?

linseed oil is great but it has a distinctive smell. So will your hands after you have walked downstairs.

I've used it outside for weather protection.

What made you choose it for the banisters?

Thanks for coming back JohnD. Have 3 women in house and they all put their nail varnish remover bottles on the banister. Had a number of little spillages.

I've just redone our bannister - it's about 54 years old mahogany. I found the best thing to use was clear yacht varnish - gives a nice smooth hard wearing finish

Sponsored Links
I've just redone our bannister - it's about 54 years old mahogany. I found the best thing to use was clear yacht varnish - gives a nice smooth hard wearing finish

Coylumbridge thanks for responding. The piece of mahogany of mine is not quite 54years. However, I think I will go with your recommendation.
Many thanks again.

Yacht varnish is really meant for outside as its a bit more elastic. Polyurethene varnish is much harder and is better for internal use.

Yacht varnish is really meant for outside as its a bit more elastic. Polyurethene varnish is much harder and is better for internal use.

I guess it's ultimately up to personal preference. I've used both as I also had a dozen hardwood doors with facings and skirtings to do as well. I preferred the yacht varnish finish on the bannister but used the polyurethane (Ronseal ultra tough) on doors/skirtings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back