Wiring 5 terminals with 3 core cable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a 6Kw ceramic hob using 30amp cable into the cooker connection box. I find there are 5 connection terminals - 2 live, 2 neutral and an earth. The installation instructions specify that the 2 live and 2 neutral terminals be linked. Should I do this by dividing the connecting cable into two equal strands (in the shape of a Y), or should a use an extra piece of wire to make the links ?
Last time I did this job, the hob had only 3 terminals to connect: I'm a bit
surprised to see that 5 connections are required.
Any advice please ???

Sponsored Links
id use an extra peice of wire if there is room in the terminals

if not then i would split them and use heatshrink to make sure the split is permanently covered

plugwash said:
if not then i would split them and use heatshrink to make sure the split is permanently covered

Not sure I like the idea of that... OK, so the hob is unlikely to be moved much, but it is a bit of a bodge, surely?

What about the third option: use TWO lengths of cable from the CCU to the hob. Surely this would be a better way to do it if the hob terminals are smaller than the CCU terminals? It is worth checking the manual or any labelling on the hob to see if perhaps two rings are off one set of L&N, and the other two are off another. Or even 3 off one and the big one of its own terminals.

Sponsored Links
adhesive lined heatshink carefully applied isn't going to go anywhere ;)

and anyway the cable goes though a cord grip first so this cetion shouldn't be stressed

AdamW said:
plugwash said:

Not sure I like the idea of that... OK, so the hob is unlikely to be moved much, but it is a bit of a bodge, surely?

What about the third option: use TWO lengths of cable from the CCU to the hob. Surely this would be a better way to do it if the hob terminals are smaller than the CCU terminals? It is worth checking the manual or any labelling on the hob to see if perhaps two rings are off one set of L&N, and the other two are off another. Or even 3 off one and the big one of its own terminals.

Thanks: yes, two rings take current from number one terminal and the other two rings from the other. There isn't room in the hob terminals to get 2 x 30 amp cables connected. Are you saying I should use a second cable of ring mains capacity ?

In case anyone is interested in how I sorted out the 3 into 5 won't go
problem: I wired the 30 amp cable into terminal 1 (live) and 3 (neutral)
then I made a link between terminals 1 and 2 and between 3 and 4 using
small loops of heat resistant cable.
The terminal block on this hob (made by AEG) is one of the most awkward
I've ever come across. It's about 6 inches long and an inch wide. The terminals screws set at right angles to the cable run and an earth which is situated almost on top of the cable clamp. Using, as you must, bulky 30 amp cable, it difficult to make 3 connections let alone 5 (including links). Has the manufacturer of this component ever tried wiring it up ?
The unit was made in Germany - where they're supposed to know a thing or two about making quality electrical products aren't they ?

Cooker connection terminals are among the worst designed of any appliances you are likely to come across and there is no consistency even between units supplied by the same manufacturer in some cases. They are usually poorly mounted and often the insulating cover is wholly inadequate. Just as in lighting the designers have obviously never had to carry out installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back