RadValve Spindle Stuck

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
This is a lockshield. It has (obviously) not been turned for years. It is only open a fraction. When I tried to open it, it wouldn't move. When I tried to close it (thinking to loosen it) the spindle assembly from the lower brass nut started to come out, it must have a LH thread.

What would be the correct thing to do?

DSCF0099.jpg

Sponsored Links
Try holding the main hex with another spanner otherwise replace the valve (it's rubbish quality anyway..no seperate gland nut).

Some radiator valves are well known for siezing..the worst is the Myson Matchmate series popular with microbore new build. The thread helix angle is way too high giving only a couple of turns (open to closed)...they always sieze and the spindles are often found sheared off. :D doesn't stop idiots fitting them though.

I tried to force one a few years ago and it broke off spraying the ceiling! :cry:

Well the gaffer did tell me to open it! :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back