Danesmoor 15/19 Oil fired boiler needs bleeding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stupidly let the oil tank run down. Refilled, but now the boiler won't fire up, keeps going into Lockout. I've been told the air needs bleeding from the oil supply line.
How do I do this?

Sponsored Links
Stupidly let the oil tank run down. Refilled, but now the boiler won't fire up, keeps going into Lockout. I've been told the air needs bleeding from the oil supply line.
How do I do this?
You will have one or even two oil hoses attached to the bottom face of the oil pump...dont touch them!
The surface of the oil pump facing you usually has the bleed screw on it, sometimes on the end of long extension section.

If the tank is above the burner, it's reasonably easy. on the face of the pump you should have a plug marked P, or the brass bit as Mike2007 mentioned. Turn off the power, shut the oil supply valve, put a container under the pump. Remove the relevant plug. open the oil valve and wait until the bubbles stop coming out. Put in plug, turn on oil, turn on power, start boiler. CHECK FOR OIL LEAKS. Keep fingers crossed.

If the tank is above the burner, it's reasonably easy. on the face of the pump you should have a plug marked P, or the brass bit as Mike2007 mentioned. Turn off the power, shut the oil supply valve, put a container under the pump. Remove the relevant plug. open the oil valve and wait until the bubbles stop coming out. Put in plug, turn on oil, turn on power, start boiler. CHECK FOR OIL LEAKS. Keep fingers crossed.

Well put oilman! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Oilman. So, it's the plug marked "P". I've read other posts on the forum that have suggested that P is for the pressure - don't touch it. I was at a loss after that!

Hi m8,
Oilman is spot on, the are two P you want the 1 at the bottom right hand corner, the better way 2 do it is press them timeout button while everythink is switch ON... then graudally and only just a little undo the plug with a allen key and u will see some bubbles and oil come out, do it back out then undo slighty once more, and presto u have heating.

1 Turn off the oil valve at the top of the burner
2 place a receptacle under the pump.
3 I assume you don't have a gauge manifold, so unscrew the 'p' plug and have a rag or large tissue handy.
4 Open the isolating tap; if oil or bubbles start to come out, then let them until you get clear fuel. If nothing, then start the burner, but have your rag or tissue ready to 'catch the discharge.
5 Once the fuel flow is clear replace the plug and then away you go.

Hi
you sound switched on, I was wondering if you could help me, I have just had tank filled, and now there is loads of black smoke coming out of the outside extractor, could this be 2 do with the pressure?

Thanks

Hi
you sound switched on, I was wondering if you could help me, I have just had tank filled, and now there is loads of black smoke coming out of the outside extractor, could this be 2 do with the pressure?

Thanks
Have you turned any other screws on the pump?
There is a plug on the face of the pemp marked 'P'. this is the port for a gauge.
To the left of centre and a little below, there is another screw marked pressure with directional arrows. If you have moved this, then it may cause black smoke. This needs resetting with a gauge, and you probably will need to clean out the boiler also.

Hi
Yeah it is kerosene, Yes the p switch was alterd aswell, i mistoke it for the pressure one when i was bleeding it, do i just turn the dial with allen key intil black smoke goes?

Your pump pressure needs setting up with a pressure gauge, I'm afraid - turning that allen screw clockwise increases the pressure at the nozzle but its really too vague to set it up that way.
John :)

I am in the same position: I have a Danesmoor 18/25 that I let run out of fuel...filling up the fuel doesn't allow the lockout light to stay off.
I found the manual at Plumbase and can clearly see the correct P to bleed...and tried following both sets of instructions to no avail:
* Turn off power, close oil valve, fully open bleed screw, open oil valve, close bleed screw, turn on power
* Keep power on, press timeout button, open bleed screw a little, close again, open just a little
Neither work for me...oil does come out with both the valve & bleed open (dribble not spurt), I see no bubbles
Anything else I can try?

Many thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back