Quick Structural Beam Calc Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had structural calcs professionally prepared by SE for my extension, but I am concerned that they are extremely OTT. Being an engineer by profession I am in the process of working through them, but am struggling to understand a constraint for beam deflection.

I am aware of max deflection for a beam in a building of L/360, which for my 6.3m beam comes out at 17.5mm, but he has then used: 5/TAN 30deg = 8.7mm. Where has that come from? Is it a factor of safety?

It’s a big issue as 17.5mm gives me an I value of 10’323cm^4, whereas 8.7mm is 20’765cm^4, which makes a big difference to the depth of the beam!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi

L/360 is the allowable deflection for live load. However, to prevent unsightly cracking through excessive deflection, this should limited to an absolute value of 12mm for spans >4320mm. If the beam is being installed in an existing structure, then, as the dead load is already there, it would be sensible to consider deflection under dead plus live loading, to the same limits.

So, he's right to restrict the deflection, but I have to say that I can't understand the 5/tan30 bit, that's lost me. If you pro rata the L/360 value thus: 10323 x6.3x10^3/(360x12), that will give you 15054cm^4.

Full calc for deflection is 5wL^4/384EI, or am I in danger of teaching mother's mother to suck on yolk and albumen?

BS5950 does state span/360 and you would use all the serviceability loads and not just the live load

And you do know that that gives the maximum permitted, and you need to do the other calc to work out the actual deflection?

Service load is actually an unfactored load, whether dead, live or both :rolleyes:

Beam stresses are calculated from ultimate, ie factored loads: factors for Gk, Qk (and Wk if applicable) depend on load combination.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys!

OK, some more info plus I’ve been thinking a bit more!

It’s a bungalow, the extension incorporates an attached garage space and lounge, with an upstairs loft style bedroom.

Example: the beam spans the garage space (6.3m), and supports the edge of the 1st floor (2 perpendicular steel beams), point loads from a ridge beam post and a purlin post (both equi spaced at 2.1m), plus the UDL of the beam and floor. The roof is at a pitch of 30deg, so it looks to me that the “5” in the equation is a maximum of 5mm deflection at the roof (?) in a particular plane, which when resolved into a vertical deflection is 8.7mm, does that sound correct?

LOL I think this is 3rd week stuff!

I'll skip the beam questions from now on.

Need any help with air vents? :cool:

:LOL: Woody, yes the edit made a bit more sense! But it's live (serviceable) load deflection, unless there are reasons - like that I suggested - to use service dead plus live in the calculation.

Eng: I think I've got the layout in my head. I haven't got my tables near to hand, but for that span and likely loading, I presume that it's a 254UC that he's proposed? Or is it a deeper UB section?

Tanx = o/a => a = o/tanx; thus, if your roof pitch is 30, that makes it something resolved into a horizontal direction. Nap, still don't know what it is :confused:. But, seeing what connects to and is supported by this beam I would probably use dead plus live loading limited to 12mm deflection.

Thanks Shytalkz! Just noticed you're local, I'm in the Norwich area....

UDL is 1.7kN/m
W1 is 18.1kN, W2 is 46.3kN (equi spaced at 2.1m)

The beam in question has been sized at 457x152x52 UB!!!

Yeah, as you say for it be a tangent it looks to be a horizontal component... but how's that come into a beam deflection calc?!

Let me guess, a certain company in an old school building did your calcs, engineer's initials RP? I'm just east of t'city...

Shytalkz – have e-mailed you the details.

Spoke to SE today, and he explained the 'odd' equation... He has used a figure of 5mm as a maximum permissible horizontal deflection at the top of the walls as a result of a vertical loading to the roof structure. Therefore when resolved into this vertical load, it equates to 8.7mm.

Despite having looked at the calcs, that explanation still foxes me...!

Update: sussed, see email reply!

Shy, matey ...... check your email I've just sent you 50 beam calcs which I wonder if you could check and get back to me by .... shall we say next Tuesday? (you can have Monday off) :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back