Wiring a spur from the consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a new double socket but it is nowhere near another socket on the ring main. It is however next to the consumer unit. Is it acceptable to run it as a spur off the ring main but terminated in the consumer unit using 2.5mm cable?

Sponsored Links
YES. SO LONG AS YOU MAKE SURE IT IS FED FROM THE CORRECT MCB. {I.E THE SOCKETS MCB}.

I already have a single socket supplied from the downstairs sockets MCB, i.e. spurred form the consumer unit, can I add other spurs from this exisiting socket? As before my ring main is not easiliy accessable.

Any suggestions welcome.

Joe

You cannot spur from a spur, or add two spurs at one point (ie consumer unit). What you could do is add a fused spur, or change the existing spur to a fused spur.

Sponsored Links
you could always make the new socket part of the existing ring

The existing socket has only one feed so making this a part of the ring main may be difficult? Another thought is that I have a spare slot for a MCB in the dist. unit can I use this to provide a seperate radial feed to this socket, and then feed on from there. I want to provide power to three twin sockets in total? This would supply a fridge, a freezer and occasionaly other kitchen appliances eg blender and toaster.

Sorry i meant to say that you would have to remove the existing cable to the socket first.

Yes you could buy a new mcb and use the spare way in your consumers unit, but you still could not loop from one socket to the next unless you use something like 6mm cable (don't even try it)

But you could make a new ring with the three new sockets on using 2.5 mm cable

You could use the spare way for a radial circuit, but you would be limited to 16A on 2.5mm cable and that would probably not be enough in a kitchen. If you are willing to go to the trouble of installing a radial circuit then its only a matter of some extra cable to make it into a ring, and therefore 32A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back