radiators only work when heating is on full!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,I have got aBaxi combi Instant 105e which is about 4 years old. All radiators worked fine up untill a few months ago. one of the radiators upstairs and one downstairs don`t come on at all unless the heating is on full.
we have bled them all and there is no air coming out just water. they all have thermostat valves on them but when they do start to work the top of the radiators get warm before the bottom and the valve end is the last to get hot, is this right :?:

Sponsored Links
have you topped up pressure since bleeding rads, 1bar cold is about right.

some TRVs can go on return (outlet side of rad)

we have turned all valves off except the two problem ones, we are waiting till they get hot and then we are going to turn heating off, then try bleeding. will wait till rads are cold to check pressure. don`t understand about the return valves can you explain further :oops:

TRV=thermostat valve.

don`t understand about the return valves can you explain further

the two pipes to the radiator are known as flow and return. flow is the inlet (gets hot first) return is outlet (sends cooled water back to boiler for reheating). Dual flow TRVs can be fitted on either the flow or the return.

Hope that helps :)

Sponsored Links
Also sounds like your heating system is dirty i.e. sludge build up. If it has been more than 3 or 4 years since the system has had a flush through and had inhibitor added to it, it's probably sludge..........

hi, put pressure to 1(was .5)turned heating back on low went out and now we have come home the 2 rads in question were slightly warm(bearing in mind thermo on boiler is low). now turned boiler up high but rads not changed still warm even tho TRV`S are on 5.
stumped again now thought we had sussed it............. :(

Also sounds like your heating system is dirty i.e. sludge build up. If it has been more than 3 or 4 years since the system has had a flush through and had inhibitor added to it, it's probably sludge..........

we did think that also but we have had the ladder rad off in the en-suite and the water was pretty clear, could it be the odd radiators I presumed it would be right through the system if it was sludge :?:

Do you have a room stat (on the wall usually in the hall)

Check the boiler pump speed. Might need to be rebalance system.
Did you have the boiler serviced? It may be a diverter valve seeping via DHW plate?

Dan

Check the boiler pump speed. Might need to be rebalance system.
Did you have the boiler serviced? It may be a diverter valve seeping via DHW plate?

Dan
hi , do you realise your talking to a woman here (no offence to any diy ladies out there) how the heck do I check the boiler pump speed. (do I need a plumber?? is it too advanced for a beginner
:LOL:

Try closing one valve on the ladder rads down. (close them and then open half a turn. See balancing in the F.A.Q. section.

well , done the balancing thing and hey presto it seems to have worked, a massive thankyou to all who contributed. I cant believe how much I have learnt .......................thanks again :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back