Cold Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know my problem is not unique, but a bit different.
When I switch my heating on all the radiators work and they are all hot. About an hour later the radiator in the bedroom gets cold.
I opened and closed the valve several times, and changed the thermostat temp, nothing changes. The two pipes are hot but it does not make any difference.

The radiator, from what I can see it has no part where I can bleed it.
Its also situated about 8 feet away from the boiler and the radiator next to the boiler and all the others are working fine.

Sponsored Links
Make sure the TRV aint sticking if it has 1 .. remove head and make sure pin is moving up and down..

Thanks I found it at the back near the top. Bleed it and just water coming out.
The TRV is rotating well also.

Sponsored Links
It may be rotating but the pin below the head could be jammed down,, remove the head and check the pin on the body !!

use a hammer or the handle of a decent sized screwdriver and tap the pin till it pops up ;)

Ok I tried to tap it and unless I force it the pin pops in and then out, is that how it is suppose to be? Or more easier? :rolleyes:

If you use something to press the pin down does it move against the spring or does it not move at all ??

sounds like the trv is working if the pin moves up and down,, check the other valve and make sure it is open,,,

Hmm yeah it should do,, try turning off all other rads and leave just that 1 on ! does the heat get past the valves at all into the rad ??

Just turned off all the other rad's and left the problem one on, its hot but will probably get cold again later. I heard the water make that hissing sound. so far so good....

Is this an upstairs or downstairs rad??

Leave the problem 1 on its own for about 15 mins then open the others ,,, you may need a balance done on the system,, you can do this by closing down the return pipes to the rad and then open just a few turns ... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back