Moving socket sideways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move a ring final socket sideways by about 200mm. The existing cable run comes vertically down the wall. Should I crimp a 2.5mm extension cable, joined at the existing box and use a blanking plate over, or can I heat shrink the crimps and bury the lot in the wall?.
I realise that by doing the latter, the position of the vertical cable run will not be identified by an accessory.
Would appreciate any comments on this.

Sponsored Links
I want to move a ring final socket sideways by about 200mm. The existing cable run comes vertically down the wall. Should I crimp a 2.5mm extension cable, joined at the existing box and use a blanking plate over, .

Yes you can do this

or can I heat shrink the crimps and bury the lot in the wall?.
I realise that by doing the latter, the position of the vertical cable run will not be identified by an accessory.

No you can't do this . for the reason that you have identified.

is there a reason you cant leave existing socket and add new socket

It sounds like there is only one cable (he didnt say cables) going to the old socket. So it is probably a spur. If he added another then it would be a spur off a spur.

Sponsored Links
god taylor you are sharp this time in the morning i think i will have cup of tea

Ah - but is he as sharp as he thinks he is?

I want to move a ring final socket sideways by about 200mm. The existing cable run comes vertically down the wall.
The OP said it was a ring, and he said existing cable run, not cable.

Taylor might well be right, but not necessarily...

No sugar in mine, and not too much milk... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back