Central heating ok but no hot water. Zone valve problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My central heating system is working fine, but I've got not hot water running.

Previously, manually activating the Zone valve closest to the tank (Honeywell V4043) let the water flow fine.
It had got very jammed and I had cleaned it up with WD40 and a drop of oil, which freed it up and had everything working fine.
It jammed up again and having cleaned again it stopped delivering water even on manual activation - it now seems that the hot water will only work if the boiler is firing up the whole central heating system (by setting the main room thermostat to 21 degrees, something I don't want to have to do all the time!)

The system has always been very slow at getting hot water. Is this a problem or just a foible of this type of system?

I was looking at replacing the head unit of the zone valve but think the problem might run further than that.

Here's a picture of the set up at the tank end.

My boiler is a Potterton Kingfisher MF

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.[/img]

Sponsored Links
To DIA, I would rate that as a very bad installation because the pipe layout has totally ignored maintenance access.

Particularly for the pump!

Tony

cooper fbi i agree with totalshell & agile but i noticed from photo cylinder stat is set too low on cylinder should be just above center point

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the feedback.

Yes, it looks like its a bit of a bodged install, with probably a number of factors causing my problems. I'll install a new head for the valve and will move the thermostat higher up the tank (would have missed that one, so big thanks).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back