Conduit and Wall box depths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe this is a plastering question but....

I have a new outbuilding that is awaiting the plaster; leaving time for me to carry out the wiring.
My question is what trunking/conduit is best to use so that the there is enough depth to cover with plaster. Also what depth do I need to leave the plasterers to ensure the conduits etc are covered...?

How proud should the boxes be for the light switches, sockets etc

The wall is Breeze (Fen-Light) block with concrete floor.
Does anyone have a ny links on this particular area....

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Use 'top hat' galvanised capping, fixed with galvanised nails or rust-proof screws directly over your cables. It comes in various widths and is available at any electrical wholesaler, or you can get it at most builders merchants and DIY sheds. Whether wet plaster or dot-and-dab this will be perfectly acceptable to the plasterer. (To do a really pucker job you should turn over the sharp cut ends of the capping)

Ask your plasterer about the depth for galvanised back boxes. If' he's dotting and dabbing he may be happy for you to fix 25mm deep boxes directly to the wall surface, but otherwise you should sink them to about half their depth. You should be able to leave 16mm light switch boxes at their full depth.

Don't use 16mm light switch boxes.

The day someone wants to put a 2-gang intermediate in there, or a 2-gang dimmer they will curse you and your descendents unto all time.

My worst nightmare was a three gang switch in a 16mm box, AND all of them were two way, with 5 conductors in each switch. ^&*(^$ knows how the guy did it. I had to admit defeat and tell the guy it needed a deeper box. All he said was "it was all right till you came...."

Well it wasn't cos the switching did not work properly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for your answers on this one....

25mm Light boxes are the way then :D

Can someone tell me is capping a regulation or is it just good practice? I know you need it if the cable runs at an angle but do you need it if it runs straight and within 150mm of a corner or the ceiling?? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back