Electricians Forum

Should the Electricans have a similar forum to the "Combustion Chamber"?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • No

Votes: 44 77.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sponsored Links
As appealing as the idea might sound, it would kill the site.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Has the "Combustion Chamber" had an effect on the plumbing forum?

Indeed so. But don't take my word for it : you could run a poll over there. :D

Sponsored Links
I don't venture onto the dark side of the forum much :LOL:
If I think on I will create a poll tomorrow and ask for it to be moved across to plumbing.

so far, option 3 (don't know)

we coud put all the unutterably tedious threads in there.

I think the forum is fine as it is- there is the IET and ATT forums, both of which are more 'trade people'.

ATT is trade only.

DIYnot is good for the public as they use it as a resource on electrical sutff

you click on the o next to "don't know" at the top of the page

Bad idea; but then again, I couldn’t see the point of "Combustion Chamber" either. What next, a Forum where only invited trades can argue with each other or slag off the poor sod’s just looking for basic advice; that’s what this group of forums is supposed to be about isn’t it? It's all a bit secretive & “clubby” for my liking; what are members who want only vetted access to their own private forum you frightened of?

Not frightened of much to be honest, I just feel that some issues can be dealt with better in a private forum which can only be accessed by tradesmen, i.e. would anyone on here be comfortable explaining how to carry out working on live systems, knowing that it is OK to discuss this with a tradesman who already has the underpinning knowledge of the subject and the dangers associated with it, but also knowing the forum can be read by everyone on the internet?
Maybe Securespark is right in that a separate forum away from DIY might be better, however if it can be read by everyone then it still will make me a bit cautious about the type of advice given.

I think it's time to raise my head above the parapet :confused:

I'm in favor of a private forum.

As I see it, the majority of posts on this forum are from DIYers, and these will still continue to be posted and answered exactly as they are now, and I don't think anything will be lost from the friendliness, helpfullness and level of traffic of the site as it is.

The private forum would be used for discussion of things which I certainly would not be happy with a DIYer reading such as live working and also a place to discuss things which would be entirely not relevant to anyone outside of the trade such as bonding arrangements in industrial premisis with a PME supply neutral exceeding 95.0mm² for example.

Not frightened of much to be honest, I just feel that some issues can be dealt with better in a private forum which can only be accessed by tradesmen, i.e. would anyone on here be comfortable explaining how to carry out working on live systems, knowing that it is OK to discuss this with a tradesman who already has the underpinning knowledge of the subject and the dangers associated with it, but also knowing the forum can be read by everyone on the internet?
Maybe Securespark is right in that a separate forum away from DIY might be better, however if it can be read by everyone then it still will make me a bit cautious about the type of advice given.

I don’t disagree with the example you’ve given & I would not advocate or personally post an “ABC”, guide to working on “live” systems or similar such topics. But electrics, plumbing, gas, oil etc really isn’t rocket science (but Structural Engineering maybe comes close!) & you can quiet easily get the same info, download a guide to making bombs or even a nuclear device without too much trouble elsewhere. Such information is so freely available from so many sources that if someone with so little knowledge of what they are doing is determined enough to want to electrocute themselves through incompetence, they will gather the basic knowledge to “chance their arm” & do it anyway.

You can’t “protect” people by restricting knowledge & information (as many foreign regimes have found); what you need to do is to structure your advice to ensure those that who seek it have sufficient information to form an opinion as to weather or not they can do the task safely or be totally put off by what you’ve said & seek professional assistance; if they chose to proceed & electrocute themselves anyway, it’s their own stupid fault!

What seems to be missing on “DIYnot” is the facility to post “personal messages” without divulging your own E mail address. This facility allows personal contact with members who you feel can help you in your specific trade/problem or you can simply post on any thread “I’ve sent you a PM” if you feel your advice is best not posted on the open forum. I generally make a point of NOT getting involved with this sort of issue but, as you’ve probably gathered, I just don’t see the point of “privileged/secret status” forums. It makes those with less detail knowledge feel outside the circle & suspicious that trades have something to hide! Caveat emptor rules!

I don’t disagree with the example you’ve given & I would not advocate or personally post an “ABC”, guide to working on “live” systems or similar such topics. But electrics, plumbing, gas, oil etc really isn’t rocket science (but Structural Engineering maybe comes close!) & you can quiet easily get the same info, download a guide to making bombs or even a nuclear device without too much trouble elsewhere. Such information is so freely available from so many sources that if someone with so little knowledge of what they are doing is determined enough to want to electrocute themselves through incompetence, they will gather the basic knowledge to “chance their arm” & do it anyway.
So you wouldn't personally want to publish the sort of information which can cause danger to an untrained person so everyone can see it?
Most of the info on the forum is available to view via google, the items in private forums are not.
You can’t “protect” people by restricting knowledge & information (as many foreign regimes have found); what you need to do is to structure your advice to ensure those that who seek it have sufficient information to form an opinion as to weather or not they can do the task safely or be totally put off by what you’ve said & seek professional assistance; if they chose to proceed & electrocute themselves anyway, it’s their own stupid fault!
Maybe, but at the same time if I am offering advice to a trained person I may miss information out which would be essential to an untrained person. I would not want any information provided by myself to cause someone to electrocute/shock themselves, regardless of wether they are stupid or not.
What seems to be missing on “DIYnot” is the facility to post “personal messages” without divulging your own E mail address. This facility allows personal contact with members who you feel can help you in your specific trade/problem or you can simply post on any thread “I’ve sent you a PM” if you feel your advice is best not posted on the open forum. I generally make a point of NOT getting involved with this sort of issue but, as you’ve probably gathered, I just don’t see the point of “privileged/secret status” forums. It makes those with less detail knowledge feel outside the circle & suspicious that trades have something to hide! Caveat emptor rules!
AFAIK the DIYnot network does not divulge your email address unless you tell it to. My only issue with the the PM thing is the information is then only passed between the two people, with nobody to proof read and point the obvious thing that has been missed out.
DIYers who only join for a day looking for information will probably not be that concerned, if you feel you are going to be left out now is a chance to say how the joining rules can be implemented fairly. If you want to know how to change a washer in a tap, would you really feel left out or not priveliged enough to be on the RGI forum?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back