dodgy conversion of old boiler to sealed system...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've been to look at a job for the replacement of an old (direct) megaflow with a new indirect unvented cylinder. The existing installation is appalling - no inlet control gear, no tundish on discharge etc, etc and the heating side isn't much better. With such a bodgy installation I'm a bit wary of the boiler itself. It's an old Potterton Kingfisher II that looks like it's been converted from an open to a sealed system. i.e the expansion vessel and associated prv and (rubbish) pipework aren't anywhere near as old as the boiler. Customers have only been in the flat for 6 months so can't give any help there. My rgi is away until next friday but I'd really like to get back to these people with some preliminary options (i.e. you'll need a new boiler or just the cylinder etc). I'd also like to tell them a bit about the potential consequences of converting a boiler to a sealed system when it's not been designed for it (heat ex. splitting or whatever?). Potterton say they need a GC no. before they can tell me whether it's ok or not but having just pulled the front cover off the boiler I can't see one anywhere and I'm not going to start taking bits off the boiler to look further.

Any advice gratefully received, etc.

Cheers,
Pete

Sponsored Links
some kingfishers can be on sealed systems providing they have the proper kit fitted, if the same person converted it as fitted the cylinder I would suspect its done wrongly. Best advice would probably be replace boiler same time as cylinder.

If the Kingfisher II is fitted with an overheat stat and there is a discharge lift off then there is little that can go dangerously wrong.

You will find Poxi Batterton less than helpful; we had this same issue last year and the GC number but no-one at Potty technical was prepared to put their c@ck on the block.

I found the Kingfisher below had an overheat stat fitted...clamped on the flow....could not ascertain whether it was the genuine factory kit though.

Sponsored Links
If the Kingfisher II is fitted with an overheat stat and there is a discharge lift off then there is little that can go dangerously wrong.

You will find Poxi Batterton less than helpful; we had this same issue last year and the GC number but no-one at Potty technical was prepared to put their c@ck on the block.

Hmm sounds rather like CORGI...roll on Capita and (hopefully) better service. Although they're apparently keeping many of the CORGI staff...

ok - thanks guys. I've spoken to them earlier and already told them that best option is to replace this ancient lump for a shiny new one so hopefully we won't have to worry about it.

Cheers gents...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back