Planning Permission changes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently new rules came in on October 1st; it seems the majority will no longer need PP for loft conversions under 50 cu/m & extensions not going back more than 3m!

Sponsored Links
.....and yet those famously illogical bod's at planning are subjecting a block paved drive to planning approval!!

you, tell me! :rolleyes: :LOL:

.....and yet those famously illogical bod's at planning are subjecting a block paved drive to planning approval!!

you, tell me! :rolleyes: :LOL:
Known that one was coming for a while; I believe it’s cos they are worried about the surface/foul water drainage systems working at or near capacity & the effect that everyone paving over their front gardens is going to have on them. No natural soak away so it’s all going to end up down the drain; just the way everything else seems to be going at the moment! :rolleyes:

spoke to a guy from highways about this. he said it is the most pointless bit of planning law introduced, since it is already covered by the highways legislation.

Sponsored Links
i can grasp the logic of the drive thing but the relaxation of the planning rules regards loft con's etc. tends to lead me to believe that we will have a boat load of extended families living in *roof spaces!

watch this space...... :LOL:

*unsuitable

i can grasp the logic of the drive thing but the relaxation of the planning rules regards loft con's etc. tends to lead me to believe that we will have a boat load of extended families living in *roof spaces!

watch this space...... :LOL:

*unsuitable
Got to put them somewhere; :LOL: not too many houses being built or sold at the moment. :(

spoke to planning again today, as we have a driveway job coming up, where they want an existing concrete driveway thats breaking up replaced with a new one. Better speak to planning i thought. Heres how the conversation goes:-

ME "hello i need to take up an existing concrete driveway and replace it wiath a new one for a client, how does the new legeslation affect the work."

Planning "It needs to be a permeable material such as gravel to be a permitted development"

Me "im aware of that but they want to replace the existing concrete with teh same"

Planning "oh in that case....hang on ill check.........yes that will need planning permission"

Me "what about if it has drainage to prevent water leaving the property"

Planning "Oh yes you can do that as long as it goes into a soakaway or a drainage system on the property"

Me " So if i put a linear drain along the front linked into a soakaway that will be ok"

Planning " oh yes thats fine, you wont need planning permission then"

Me "Ok, just out of intrest, if the client didnt want that and put in for planning for the concrete drive, what would happen?"

Planning "Theyd be told permission would only be passed if they had drainage for it"

Is it me or is it a bit of a pointless official merry go round??? :rolleyes:

As i was driving round today, i lost count of the number of driveways i saw being done with no drainage to stop run off, which i can only a ssume they have no permission for.

The only good thing that I can think of regarding permission for drives, is that most of us pay the water authority for water which runs off our properties into the public drains.

So, if you renewed the drive and got permission for a system where the water does not leave the property and drain into the public system, then you can get a rebate from the water authority using the PP as proof.

Should save you about £2.38 per year :LOL:

Our local paper carried a quote from the senior planners moaning about the new rules, and stating that the planning officers will be touring around with watering cans to check on drives.

The other good thing just come to mind, is that now if you get your drive tarmaced by a visiting band of ******, then it will be permeable within a week when it starts to crack - so saving on the planning application fee. Result.

saves you 22 a year down here, just got it.....not back dateable though.

Absolute nonsense though. who is going to apply for permission without the drainage, therefore who needs the permission?

as i mentioned earlier the guy from highways i spoke to said its a complete waste of time as there is already legislation in place that means drainage should be on a driveway to prevent water flowing off of it, or on to it to the road/pavement, so whats the point of spending money on bringing that law in!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back