Newbie - Problem with boiler, central heating isn't working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope some one can offer me advice. I am a Newbie so please speak in laman terms to me :rolleyes:

I have a Potterton Nettaheat Electronic 10-16 boiler and have had an on-going problem but now it does not work the central heating.

Yesterday evening the boiler stoped working. I would turn up the thermostat in the entrance hall and it would click to indicate that the heating would turn on but the boiler does not fire up anymore.

It has turned on a couple of times, only for brief periods, and I expect that this to heat the water as that seems fine and is piping hot.

I have an engineer coming round shortly and would just like advice so I know that he is giving me genuine advice and quotation. Sorry to say that, especially on here, but with all the scaremongering on TV, etc. it is easy to have a suspicious mind-set.

The thermostat is on 25c, the hot water is fine, the pump is set to three, I have set the boiler to max and it heats up much when it is on.

In respect to the on-going problem. This regards igniting the pilot light. It would click several times, the pilot comes on, fires up, turns off and repeats the process several times before staying on.

I have also noticed that the water through my shower has changed a couple of times. At the moment I have the electric shower set to low temperature and the water is still piping hot.

Thanking you in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
you say the pump is set to three but is it running? :D
Hey thanks for the quick reply.

Just to explain my set-up a little more.

The boiler is in the kitchen and has a setting from off, 1 - 4 and max. I normally have it on 2.5.

The thermostat for the central heating is in the entrance hall.

Upstairs in the air cupboard is a timer and two switches to turn the turn the water and the central heating respectively to timer, off or on.

In the airing cupboard is the water storage and the pump (? - this is what I was referring to - but the instructions say it is a circulator) with a dial that goes from 1-3. It is on a water pipe that comes from the middle of the water storage barrell (sorry, forgot the term :( told you I was a noob!)

The circulator is a Grundos and hope this info helps.

kevplumb said:
you say the pump is set to three but is it running? :D
Sorry, to answer your question this is the circulator and I expect that is running. :oops:

Sponsored Links
undo the big silver screw in the middle put some rags under first you will get a dribble of water out (may be hot) insert a small screwdriver in the screw hole and see if the shaft is turning :D

kevplumb said:
undo the big silver screw in the middle put some rags under first you will get a dribble of water out (may be hot) insert a small screwdriver in the screw hole and see if the shaft is turning :D

Hi, I undone the silver ring and tried to put a small screwdriver in the hole. Immediately behind the screwthread is a black object so there is no where to insert the screwdriver and it is not turning. It had some small notches and I could push it around with the screwdriver.

THe circulator is warm as is the water pipe it is connected too and the storage tank.

THe circulator is connected via a wire to a honeywell powersupply (? guessing as it says 240v danger) and then another wire to another thermostat set to 50o.

if its not turning the circulator is seized / stuck
the"power supply "you mention is a zone valve for the hot water
switch the circulator on and CAREFULLY put the screwdriver in the hole if its not turning it aint working

sounds like a new pump(circulator) ;)

kevplumb said:
if its not turning the circulator is seized / stuck
the"power supply "you mention is a zone valve for the hot water
switch the circulator on and CAREFULLY put the screwdriver in the hole if its not turning it aint working

sounds like a new pump(circulator) ;)

Found the valve (it says what it is :) ), which is on the same pipework but lower down.

I could not see a way of turning on the circulate so I raised the temperature on the thermostat on the storage tank and this turned on the boiler and the circulator, which is working fine.

That's that eliminated. What else do you recommend?

Thanks again for your help on this. :)

Boilers turned off again, can hear the water in the airing cupboard. The radiators are still cold :(

possibly there is another valve for the heating ?
the boiler is controlled by a switch in the valve if the c/h valve isnt opening the boiler wont fire :D

Where would I find the valve for the c/h and is so, what sort of costs are we talking about?

Took a look at the valve. It is a Y valve so does both. The one to the c/h is mildly warm and the one to the circulator is hot.

kevplumb said:
try moving the little silver lever to the man pos sounds like the motors gone
hot water is the at rest position :D

The chap turned up, done exactly what you suggested. It worked.

Said it was the motor in the valve. He quoted me £55 took around 20-30 minutes and left.

You knew exactly what it was so thank you for bearing with me and giving sound advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back