Oil delivery driver bodged tank connector - opinion???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - would appreciate some thoughts/suggestions here.
ordered 2000l of oil for an empty, new 3500l tank - delivery driver turned up on weekend when property unoccupied, and during filling has obviously bodged the empty tank slightly creating a bend on pipework (see photo)
the tank is now too heavy to rotate back the 1/2" or so it needs to be aligned
the guy who fitted it is coming back to have a look, but though I'd post here to get some initial thoughts.

Sponsored Links
My thoughts are that a 3500 litre bunded tank is not easy to move. Empty or otherwise on your own. We normally have 3 people on site to position these.

Are you inferring that the tanker driver reversed into it (highly unlikely and there would be damage at the point of impact) or vindictively used all his strength to move your tank an inch or so prior to filling it?

You weren't there, so you can't prove anything. Give up now, it is ridiculous. What is it about the 'great British public'; always trying to blame someone else?

Agree with Simon on this one. There is no way one man on his own just connecting the filling pipe to this would be able to move a tank this size.

On the other hand, if he could, I wouldn't be arguing with him and I would usually argue with anyone any size :eek: :LOL:

What is it about the 'great British public'; always trying to blame someone else?

Agreed.

It is possible that the tank may have moved as it was filled with around two tonnes of fuel, plastic tanks can settle in all kinds of unexpected ways.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure thats not the installers "kick" in the pipe as it enters the hole which seems to veer sideways.
If it is and the installer returns he will think you are a right plonker.
Can you use a level ?.
Stick it on the vertical piece of pipework and see is it plum from the kick up to the compression fitting.

I thought there had to be a 300mm gap under the filter bowl for maintenance? Makes sense to me, considering the bowl could easily end up buried under snow or piles of soggy dead leaves. Maybe the installer didn't read the instructions properly.

Base has to be 300mm more than the plastic base of the tank so if its a 1200x1800 tank the base (concrete) has to be 1800x2400.

I've heard of making mountains out of mole hills but you are trying to make one out of a worm casting :!:
Given a SG of 817.15 @ 60ºf you have had 1634.3 KG of liquid poured into a tank which although fairly robust is not inflexible under the duress of such a weight. This tank is held to the floor with what appears to be 10mm copper pipe and you expect the pipe to remain perfectly square during the operation!
I think you should apologise to all those whose time you have wasted on this matter so far and spare yourself any further embarrassment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back