Whistling radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just moved to a cold-weather city; this is the first time I've ever used a radiator, and I know absolutely nothing about how they work.

My radiator makes a tremendous whistling/hissing noise when it first comes on, which has been 6 AM lately in my building. Needless to say, this is very annoying!

The noise comes from a hole on top of a valve located on the pipe leading to the radiator. Simply covering this little hole stops the whistling, but I'm guessing that's probably not a good thing to do. What can be done to stop this infernal whistling??!?!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I don't think so... The hole is on a round protruding thing that sticks out of the pipe near the floor. I assume it's a valve, but I don't see where a cap would go.

Simply covering the hole with my finger stops the whistling noise. (And I don't feel any steam coming out of it or anything.) Is it bad for the radiator if I covered the hole up with a piece of duct tape? I assume that it's there for a reason, but the noise is driving me crazy.

ive seen one of those things on "tom and jerry" I think itsa type of pressure release valve.

Are you in an apartment block? it may be communial heating (if so ask a neighbour / landlord)

the other thing is this is a UK based forum and if it is steam heating its not very common over here :cry:

Sponsored Links
it doesnt in tom and jerry, which is loosley based on reality

kevplumb said:
dont think i would like 100 psi of steam or condensate venting in my bedroom tho :LOL:
neither did tom, he was sitting above it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back