Safe cable size for 3kw immersion heater.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, all. A friend of mine has just had a new boiler and cntral heating system to replace his original one. For some reason, the old immersion heater was connected to 1.5mmT&E. The electrician that came to wire up the new system including the new immersion heater, said that the 1.5mm T&E cable was ok to leave in and wire up to.!. Is this the case or was he just being lazy not wanting to rewire with 2.5mm T&E. The cable is on its own circuit and the length is aprox 25metres. Also, I was wondering if the fuse fitted is ok at 16amps, i'm just a little concerned that the safety device i.e the circuit breaker can stand more than the cable?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Andy Stu

Sponsored Links
how is the cable run? In particular does it run through any insulation?

I believe it runs from the consumer unit which is located in the single storey garage, up through the garage lof space which has a small amount of insulation, maybe 50mm then under the floor boards and into the airing cupboard. If the route is vital for the calculation then I can find out exactly in more detail.

Thanks,

Andy Stu

Sponsored Links
The route isn't vital - 1.5mm² T&E can safely carry more than 13A even if insulated and in conduit.

A 16A breaker is also fine, but the outlet in the airing cupboard should be fused at 13A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back