no seals on cutout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Having recently purchased our house i've noticed that the cutout does not have seals.
Nothing appears to be exposed but the survey did not pick this up.

We are due a meter change soon and i've heard that the DNO in the north west can be akward at times....could they refuse to change the meter on the basis that the cutout is not supposed to be how it is? Also could they disconnect our property as a result of this?

I have heard others having bad experiences with DNOs visiting their properties and I am a little bit worried.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
do not worry about it, as long as the meter seals are intact.

:D

They generally blame electricians for breaking seals, not homeowners. Plus you've only just bought the property. I'd say they definately won't disconnect you.
Perhaps you should call them and warn them though.

Our resident North West meter fitter, 'Roo' might be along shortly to reassure you :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hello again,

I rang customer services and after being transferred to three dept. the call centre woman did not know what a cutout was.
The house needs a lot of work so i did not bother chasing this in terms of priorities up but now that they are coming to change the meter i've become a little worried but thanks for the advice.

I could show them the solicitors letter with the completion date on it and the meter is reading above 92000 now so i would guess it is obvious that other owners "could" have broken the seals.

I really wouldn't stress it.

I've worked for the leccy board and since then been in millions of houses that "happen" to have broken seals on the cutout. Never been a problem.

Meter fixer couldn't care less, he's probably on a bonus/job rate and his slice doesn't include worrying about it.

i have a similar problem to yours. My house was rewired nearly a year ago and the spark just pulled the fuse. Unfortunately he has not done a good job of wiring the tails into the meter as the blue (neutral) tail has 1cm of copper exposed. There is no isolator between meter and CU.
Can the DNO refuse to change my meter due to the exposed copper or can they sort the tail out by cutting a little bit off it?

The meter man would probably sort it, but TBH, you should be getting the electrician back to sort it if he has left the installation in an unsatisfactory condition.

As for the isolator, it is not a requirement, and I personally recommend AGAINST their use, but other electricians would fit them as a matter of course.

thanks RF.

I hope the guy does not mind sorting the copper out.
I doubt i'd find a spark that would just come to cut 1cm of copper off a tail. Also it would mean two visits by the DNO, one to pull the fuse for the repair and the second to actually change the meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back