Loud explosion when gas ignites

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a amana central a/c and heat unit about 10 years old. It has the stainless steel construction.

The unit has 2 issues. The fan was at first not running but this turned out to be the control board as I think the exlosion from the heater caused two contacts to ground out against the metal from the vibration as it sat real close to start with.

The fan will run fine now that its changed but if the explosion keeps up it will be a matter of time before it grounds out again.

The unit is in the attic. You can here the controls kicking in to ignite the gas and it sounds like the big bad wolf if trying to blow the house down, You can hear the gas blow and it sounds like it starts to ignite but is to strong so it blows itself out. Then it stops and retires the cycle over and over again until it lights and then I can hear it from my room when it fianlly gets the right fuel air mixture. Sometimes when it lights I assume because the built up gas in the chamber it will make a pretty loug explosion when it lights.

What is causing this?

I assumed maybe the small fan that is supposed to take the fumes out or possible the igniter itself but really that is all guess work.

Sponsored Links
The USA can send a team to a space station and lose a bag of tools into space but their citizens cannot work out which country DIYnot is based in.

Its the UK or "London" as that the only place most Americans have ever heard of!

This is Tony Blair's country if you need even more halp!

Why dont you just call a repairman like every one else?

Tony

The unit is suffering from explosive ignition. you will need to call on the services of a certified heating enginner or Amana service agent.
Basically the ignition unit is not igniting the gas when imited from burner bars, this gas and air mixture is building up in the combustion chamber, then when ignition occurs creating the explosion.

Quite a dangerous situation you have, have it looked at and serviced as soon as possible.

Sponsored Links
I had this on a back boiler. You get a phooping noise when it ignites. The air filter was blocked with dust. Just cleaned it, it works fine now

Ok here it is and for the more simple minded at this site its gets cold or hot every place on earth in case you had not noticed so get off my arse.

The unit has what is called a smart valve. The control board is giving error flashes. The coded flash says that the Primary circuit switch is broken.

I have purchased a new one and will be installing it tonight. If that is not it I'm told that it is more than likely the valve (regulator) itself. I will post back.

Good for you No.7684

Over here we mostly just get rain......hot would be nice if we ever get a Summer..........Have a nice day!

I hope I was never on your arse cmb

yes it does get hot and cold everywhere but alas and alac they make different things to different spec everywhere to

so ya boo sucks to you

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back